Scale issues

Started by m2tts, March 02, 2011, 10:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m2tts

I have two SW assemblies. One is a pack and go of the other with some minor changes done to it. When importing the second one into the first one's scene; even though I have "From Previous Import" checked, it is still coming in at a different scale. Why can't we have absolute units in KeyShot?

guest84672

I can't reproduce that. Make sure that you are on the latest version. Also if you can share the files with us, then we can take a look.

m2tts

Ok, I'm running some tests with simpler assemblies and I can't seem to recreate the issue we were having the other day. What I do notice is that as you're importing parts or variations of the assembly; if they're model envelope sizes are different, they still come in at different scales even when you have "from Previous" selected. You must go to the scale boxes and match the scales of the objects. Why don't new imports come in at the same scales? Why are there now scale boxes and size box dialouges in the Scene tab? I'm certain I don't understand why Keyshot does not consider the original assemblies and part's xyz origins when importing either. It always seems to be placing the model according to the center of it's bounding box and not the origin of the model or assembly. It would make life sooo much easier when working on iterations of assemblies to be able to import parts consistently to the same places without having to constantly rescale and move them within Keyshot.

m2tts

I've reopened one of the bib files I've been testing and now, though all the objects are still the same size relative to each other, the scale numbers showing up in the Scene tab are all over the place for the different objects in the scene. Please see the attached bip to see what I mean.

guest84672

Those scale values look whacky. Can you share the SW model?

If you turn off "center geometry" and "snap to ground" upon import, parts will come in relative to their original position in the CAD file.

Parts will maintain the scale when imported separately and have "from previous" checked. It may help to check this by default.

m2tts

Thanks for looking at that Thomas. I'm finding Keyshot to be behaving very erratically. Today I've been starting a new bip file and importing some of the same parts. They are behaving like you have described they should. While they do import to where they should be respective to their origins, the Translation values for each import are all different and appear to be based on their model envelope centers. This makes moving them relative to the assemblies difficult. All imports with no snap to ground and center options chosen should have all zeros showing in the positions and rotations tabs, but they have translation values as if the part;s origins were centered on their model envelopes. Also, on reopening the bip file the objects scale values change (this time in unison anyway).

A seemingly unrelated issue I'm having is that Keyshot really bogs down if I'm opening new files. By the time I've opened the fourth file in succession (not in separate sessions) Keyshot becomes unusable and must be killed.

KeyShot

We are working on an update that will address the scale issue. I have not heard of the open issue before, but we will investigate and see if we can reproduce it.

-- Henrik

guest84672

We had the discussion about whether it should show the transformation values as 0, 0,0 or not. We decided not to do it as 0, 0, 0 describes the scene center.

But it sounds like everything is working, but some of the scale values are out of whack. Can you please provide your SW files so we can take a look at the scale values based on the original data, not just what's written in the bip file.

m2tts

Here are the SW files I used for the tests. They are a mix of 2010 and 2011 files.

Robb63

This is a huge issues for me importing Rhino files too. Exact same issue!

Doesn't matter which box I check the parts come in different sizes. Also, y-up or Z-up doesn't seem to make a difference either, my files always come in face down no matter which x,y,z box I check.

eric

same problem here with SW2010
only way to get objects same scale relative to each other is by preparing an assembly in Solidworks.

guest84672

Quote from: Robb63 on March 08, 2011, 10:04:48 AM
This is a huge issues for me importing Rhino files too. Exact same issue!

Doesn't matter which box I check the parts come in different sizes. Also, y-up or Z-up doesn't seem to make a difference either, my files always come in face down no matter which x,y,z box I check.

The orientation works just fine - make sure you are using 2.2.45. If you use the Rhino plugin and then import a second model, then the scale is off.

m2tts

Quote from: Thomas Teger on March 08, 2011, 12:55:30 PM
If you use the Rhino plugin and then import a second model, then the scale is off.

This is exactly why Keyshot needs to use real units; or at least the option to. If it's a matter of trying to be simple because you don't know if someone is bringing in a car or jewelry, then scale the environment automatically, NOT the geometry.

Robb63

I'm not using the Rhino Plug-in. I'm just importing data, when the "use previous" is checked the new data comes in tiny (unless the data in there is gigantic and the new data is correct?).
At least if I look at the data in the scene now I can scale it using those numbers. A day or so ago those numbers were all over the place so I couldn't rely on them, now they seem to work.

I am using 2.2.45 since it came out. I'm working in Rhino 5, but there is no difference if I save as Rhino 4 version either.

guest84672

Thanks for sending the files m2tts. When importing individual pieces, make sure you do the following:

Turn off Snap to Ground.
Turn off Center Geometry.

Then import the first piece.

When importing the subsequent pieces, makes sure to check Add to Scene, and From Previous (we will check them by default in the next update".
Snap to Ground and Center Geometry are still turned off - LEAVE IT THAT WAY.

Now everything comes in correctly. I noticed that the object can sometimes be very big. If this is the case, bring all objects in as described above. Then go to the scene tree, select all objects in the tree, and right click on the selection (still in the scene tree).

Select Scale from the menu. Scale all object using the widget, then click Snap to Ground.  

Done.

Hope this helps.