polygon issue in live linking, , , camera animation in fbx

Started by samzzz, June 01, 2017, 06:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samzzz

HI,
I created a AEC extended objects- wall in 3ds max [--- 3dx-max.JPG--- ]. when opened in KS via live linking it gave me odd polygon appearance [--- ks-direct-link.JPG+++ks-direct-link-B.JPG--- ]. I have tried converting it to editable poly but results are same. But when exported to fbx and imported in KS, then it gave expected good result.[---ks-fbx-export,JPG---]
Issue is I want import camera animation via live linking. due to some reason I am unable to export camera animation in fbx. When I try to export with check box of camera animation on, everything exports successfully from 3ds max. But when Imported in KS with camera import check box on, all objects imported except camera animation.
Please help me on both issues. Thanks.

mattjgerard

Try the "edit normals" function in the geometry editor. I've found that to fix many odd surface anomolies that come from importing items from Cinema 4D as well. I wish there was a quick way to apply this to many objects all at once, as C4D has the habit of putting normals tags on everything , then those objects have flipped normals when moved to keyshot with the plugin. They should drop the "Calculate Vertex Normals" function in the RMB menu and assign a shortcut to it. I use it all the time.

Fabbrica

Hi
I have had the same issue on several different models and have found that the best way to fix it is through smoothing. Try using the smooth modifier on the object and set it to auto-smooth. Attached are some images of applying the auto-smooth to an object with the weird reflections.

Another option I found to solve the problem is the MeshSmooth modifier set to Classic with Smoothing Parameter Strength set to .0001. This gives you a less smoothed look and solves the reflection problem but adds to the poly count.
From what I can tell this adds extra polygon lines to just the edges of the object and allows Keyshot to understand the angle change of the geometry.

Hope this helps.