What Is going on with the Scaling??

Started by Robb63, March 09, 2011, 10:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robb63

This is to carry on a discussion that I was part off in the Solidworks section, because the issues I'm having are with Rhino (but it sounds like SW users are having similar issues).

Importing a Rhino file seems to be very inconsistent as to how it handles scaling the new object. I am using 2.2.45 and I have been following the instructions as far as checking certain boxes.

Yesterday everything seemed to be working consistently (not correctly, but I knew how to fix it). I would import a file (a new iteration of a previous file) it would be scaled wrong, I would type in the numbers that made it the same size as the previous import. Then did my render as normal. OK, not great, but manageable!

Today I have some more iterations of this design to render for a client. So I open the exact same file I had yesterday, bring in the same data with a couple of tweaks only now the numbers I punched in yesterday aren't the same.
This is causing me, and it sounds like several others huge nightmares. Is there something that can be done here???

guest84672

If you can post an example then I can take a look. Or e-mail it to me directly - thomas@luxion.com.

cgrill

I'm having a similar issue with the new 2.2 update.  I rescaled just as you did and then ran into scaling inconsistencies with later imports.  I would like to know how to resolve this as well, for the time being I have gone back to 2.1.

What type of screen shots would you want Thomas, or do you want a zip. file?

guest84672

I need actual data so I can try and reproduce the problem. So far I haven't be able to do so. It works very well.

What do you mean by "rescaled"?

cgrill

Hi Thomas,

The following is my best description of what was happening.  In the previous 2.1 Keyshot software I had created a scene with a product (Model A) imported in from Rhino.  I then updated to 2.2.  I went through design development and thus needed to re-render the product (Model B).  When I imported my new model into Keyshot the model was scaled down (smaller than the original Model A) and in different coordinates.  In the "IMPORT" dialogue box I checked "add to scene", "retain materials", and "z up".  I experimented with both "Automatic" and "From Previous Import" to get the coordinates but neither worked.  The coordinates and the scale of the model were never changed in Rhino.  To amend the issue I wrote down the scaling value and coordinate numbers for Model A and used these to scale and move Model B appropriately.  Although a pain, this method worked once or twice and then the numbers began scaling the Model B at different sizes and placing it in different coordinates.  It became very sporadic.  I hope this helps, I can try and explain it more if need be.

JohnnyF

Hi Thomas

I am also getting exactly the same scaling issue with the alias imported on the latest version of keyshot!

Cheers

Johnny

silvinai

Hi,

I'm have exactly same problem. Import a file from Rhino and get it in one scale, after some time modify the file and want to re-render it and knowing that is in same scale and position than previous one but after import the file has a different scale factor that I need to modify it manually. For that reason I come back to version 2.1.
I like some improvements from version 2.2 but needing to set scale every time, is a big problem.

Regards
Silvina

guest84672

Are these scenes that have been created in 2.1? If so it may be that the scale is off due to the changes we made to the importers.

For 2.2. - if followed properly - make sure "From Previous" is checked - the scale will be maintained.

cgrill

Yes, I am having issues with using scenes created in 2.1 now in 2.2.  They don't play nice together.

Thanks,
Chris

guest84672

We actually looked into this and can't see any issues. We changed Rhino importers from 2.0.42 to 2.1, so if anything, something may not be compatible there.

As I asked before, please share your scene with us - bip and updated Rhino file, so we can take a look.

kh

I'm having the same scaling issue with Rhino.(using scenes created in 2.1 now in 2.2)
Checking "Use Old Importers", it works well now.