Main Menu

Wood Cutting Tools

Started by brettcasteel, March 10, 2011, 08:28:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brettcasteel

Hello I am rather new to KeyShot but here are a few of my renderings i have done i am still looking for ways to make them look even better. Enjoy

Above: Tool Body is just steel so i tried to make it less reflective
Below: Tool Bodies are nickel plated so i tried to make them more reflective

trice1

Look pretty good to me. Also look pretty expensive! Have you tried rendering any matching wood profiles?

tvanryn

Those are surely some of the most accurate looking metal materials I've seen.  Are you willing to share?   ;)

guest84672

brettcasteel

Yea I have tried rendering matching wood profiles to go along with the tools but so far i am only getting decent looking wood. I plan on soon doing some more work to make a better wood material so i can match up the end grain properly, and get the color that i desire.

As far as sharing my material specs i will try to see what i am using sometime next week and give that too you but really to make a good looking render the a few key things you need to make sure to do is

1) make all hard edges have a little bit of a fillet
2) Good Material and i will share what i am using soon
3) Lighting, Tweaking the environmental settings is very important (use real-time render as a good guide)
4) Due to the way the reflections seem to work i have been rendering them all with the Grey back drop that is on the 3rd image. and using photoshop to change it post render. rendering with an alpha layer helps greatly. I have been copying it and then inverting its color and then using hue/saturation to change the back drop *change this layers blending option to color*

PhilippeV8

Good wood materials are interesting :)  I make section-renders of windows and most are PVC or ALU, but sometimes wood is required.  In particular the "wood cross section material" would be interesting :)  I can't find any good images of that online to start build a material for that.

trice1

My CAD program does not support 'Face Colors' so a .1mm extrusion is put on the end grain of this
piece of unfinished oak. The texture or material comes from jpgs I take of wood lying around my shop.

brettcasteel

that is a really! nice looking wood render i am probably going to do that just take a few scans of wood samples i have laying around here. But that is basically the look i planned on going after. just not enough time in the day with my other responsibilities...

JeffM

Take a look at the selection of woods on cgtextures as well: http://cgtextures.com/textures.php?t=browse&q=427

The renders here are really great by the way!

colej

@trice1

have you considered exploding the model into separate surfaces and you could move the end plane to a new layer so Keyshot would recognize it as a separate material.
That trick works for me

trice1

<brettcasteel> I could read your company logo on your tooling so I took the tour at h3dtools: Nice!

<Thanks JeffM> I did go to cgtextures.

<colej> I will explore your trick. Unfortunately you have presumed that I know what I'm doing!!!
Are you talking about 'exploding' and layering in my cad program,(Alibre Design) or in Keyshot?
I only have the limited 'Keyshot Cad' version. Also layering is not one of my strong points.
It's not too hard to just 'stick' a thin piece on where you need it so Keyshot can differentiate, especially if you have a simple model. A complicated model like a 5 piece raised panel door has many, many different surfaces, half of them being curved. Anyway, I will continue to persevere.

brettcasteel

@Trice1 Thanks for checking out the site! We are currently redoing our website and that is the reason we purchased keyshot we felt we needed more up to date tooling and rendering out tools that we already have 3d models for seemed like a better idea then manufacturing tools just to have them photographed. So if you check back in a month or 2 hopefully the new site will be up and working and have many nice renders on it from keyshot

feher

HI Brett,
The wood tools have a really nice feel to them, Great work !
Thanks for sharing.
Tim

trice1

Where are the flying wood chips?
Keyshot Cad Realtime render.

guest84672

Nice - lighting is a bit hot on the top of the object.