Copy/Paste Textures Issue

Started by jjeconomaki, March 24, 2011, 01:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjeconomaki

The positioning of textures needs to become much easier--moving with a mouse is so VERY crude it is almost unusable at times. I second earlier suggestions that wheel support be added. Also, three decimal precision is often times not fine enough (this has also been suggest prior).

Sometimes, just right clicking on a texture to copy it causes it to move to sights unseen. When a texture is selected (position button) can a marquee highlight so we know where the texture is in space? As it is now, you go fish for it and it is frustrating.

I am edge/end/face grain mapping on small wooden cubes--an unbelievably slow process because of the positioning issues described above.

Also, in this particular example, having the Repeat button automatically selected is somewhat of a nuisance--is there a way to turn this off when selecting new textures for small items?

-John

guest84672

Have you tried and used the "Position" function? Click on "Position", then click on the surface to position the texture on the surface.

jjeconomaki

Thomas;

The "position" option is really awkward when the texture is small AND you want to move the texture in small increments.

For example, aligning wood edge/end/face grain to each other. When the texture is small, just clicking on it can send it to who knows where.

So to answer your question, yes I have used the position option, and am reporting that under the circumstances described above, it is frustrating and time consuming.

That said, the results can be incredible. I posted some maple textures in other forum here and if you download the package file, you will see exactly how hard it is to align my index marks. It cannot be done with the position option, you have to manually dial it in using the two planes. AND that is why I concur with another user that scroll wheel support would be a huge improvement.

-John

martinkopplow

Hi Thomas,

John is absolutely right. He's the kind of guy who thinks before he types, and sometimes even while typing, so that's not unusual. I am also designing small pieces at times, and positioning textures or labels very precisely is indeed not easy on a small scale. What I wish for was a means of nudging the image in user defined steps, E.G. by means of the wheel or mouse with 'reduction gearbox' enabled by a modifier key or the like. This would also include rotation, of course.

Also, it could make sense to adapt the increments of movement to the bounding box size of the model or even better the current part, to get an adequate slider default to start with, so modifying the third decimal does not send a car interior button label off the part.

Best regards,
Martin

guest84672

We will look at this for version 3.

trice1

Quote from: martinkopplow on May 10, 2011, 03:22:53 AM
Hi Thomas,

John is absolutely right. He's the kind of guy who thinks before he types, and sometimes even while typing, so that's not unusual. I am also designing small pieces at times, and positioning textures or labels very precisely is indeed not easy on a small scale. What I wish for was a means of nudging the image in user defined steps, E.G. by means of the wheel or mouse with 'reduction gearbox' enabled by a modifier key or the like. This would also include rotation, of course.

Also, it could make sense to adapt the increments of movement to the bounding box size of the model or even better the current part, to get an adequate slider default to start with, so modifying the third decimal does not send a car interior button label off the part.

Best regards,
Martin

Martin, It may be my imagination but it seems if the materials selection box is widened all the way across your screen the sliders are also increased in length. This in effect reduces sensitivty.

AL

martinkopplow

Hi AL,

I just got my new 32:9 aspect 52" Display, and well, it appears to have the effect you mention ... ;O)
No, to be honest I have a second screen just for the dialog and tool boxes, so there is plenty of space, still I think it wouldn't harm to add a bit more 'feeling' to the controls.

Martin