Main Menu

Half-Life logo

Started by Nerowulf, March 28, 2011, 07:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nerowulf

Hey. I just wanted to try out a technique, and see how it turned out. The model itself isn't anything special, just a nice test-model ;)

My goal was to make the model look used. I rendered the model two times. One time with the orange paint (first image), and a second time with the base metal. Then in Photoshop, I placed the metal-piece on top, and removed most of it (Layer-mask), so only small traces of metal is shown. Also added a texture to it, though it barely shows.

I got a tips from someone else to use a bumpmap. I might add that next time.

First with only the paint:

Then add metal-trace for worn out effect:

Critic and tips are as always very welcome.

brettcasteel

I really like your image!

I would love to see a blend material in Keyshot (i dont think they have one yet). I use to use this material type in another software and it would let you pick 2 of your materials and set another image or material as a mask so you could set how much of the bottom material showed thru.

Philrider7

Nice effects, its remind me of my old times with c4d and i had a blend material!

JeffM

guest84672

jjeconomaki

That is cool looking!

-John

Richman

slick!  very nice.  Looks like a bit of color balancing/curves adjustments too.  Can you post the raw metal render that you used?

ambarbandi

Nice render..... can u share the image rendered with base metal. I am very new to rendering so just want to understand the whole idea.

thanks
Ambar

Nerowulf

The material I used was nothing special, just Orange Paint, were I altered the setting a bit. And I used an outdoor-HDRI. The metal I don't remember, but it doesn't really matter that much anyway, since it barely shows.

I might have changed the Metal roughness/coverage a bit (don't remember), but not much. (Not sure if I saved the last edited Keyshot-setup)

Quote from: Richman on March 28, 2011, 09:42:11 PM
slick!  very nice.  Looks like a bit of color balancing/curves adjustments too.  Can you post the raw metal render that you used?
The first image (that I posted) is original from Keyshot (only adjusted the background itself, not the model). The second one I added a texture on top, and used Overlay, and tuned down the opacity, which made the model a bit lighter.

When you ask for the raw metal render, do you mean the settings that I posted now, or do you mean a keyshot render without any photo editing? If you mean the metal, I don't remember, probably basic steel or something.

ambarbandi

hey thanks very much for sharing the information..... :)

Chad Holton

feher

Looks good !
Thanks for sharing
Tim

xcut0r

nice work, simple and interesting  ! :)

Richman

Did you use the same HDRI on both images of the composite?

Nerowulf

Quote from: Richman on April 05, 2011, 10:45:59 PM
Did you use the same HDRI on both images of the composite?
Yeah, I think so.