Running Without Admin Rights?

Started by cowens, March 25, 2010, 08:29:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cowens

I am in a corporate environment where we do not run as administrators on our computers (Windows XP). I have installed the Keyshot trial, but the materials library comes up blank when I'm logged in as a user. If I log in as an administrator, the materials library loads. Unfortunately, it's not practical to get admin rights for our designers. Is there a way to get Keyshot to run correctly with restricted accounts in Windows XP?

guest84672

The content is placed in "My Documents". You will need to move it into a location that is accessible by all users upon install.

I hope this helps.

Thomas

cowens

Thanks Thomas,

So I'm guessing that the program is referencing the Administrator account's My Documents folder, which does not have read or write access for my user level account. How do I remap or move the folder that Keyshot uses, so that it can be a folder that's accessible by all users?

guest84672

You either reinstall the software, and then install the content at the shared location.

Or, you can manually put it there. After putting it there you will need to edit the keyshot.xml file in the Resources folder and change the path of the six folders to point to the new location.

Thomas

cowens

Thanks Thomas, I feel like we're on the right track.

Where is the Resources folder that contains the keyshot.xml file? In Program Files/Keyshot I have bin and doc. I also did a Google Desktop search on my computer for keyshot.xml and had no results, so I'm feeling a bit lost.

Do you think there are any plans for modifying how the application works so that it can be run in an environment with limited user permissions? For instance, I've had no issues running Solidworks or Adobe apps.

Thanks for your help.

guest84672

The folder called "KeyShot Resources" is in the "My Documents" folder.

If you change the installation of the content while running the installer to a location that everybody can access then there is no problem.

Thomas

cowens

Thanks Thomas. That worked perfectly and I'm up and running now.

guest84672