Specular Map in Metal material

Started by harshcg, April 16, 2011, 05:56:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harshcg

If this has been asked before, please excuse me.
I was wondering how can be hook up a specular map in Metal material? I am shading a plane engine and wanted some parts to be more greasy and shiny than rest of the parts in one mesh.

For eg in the attached image...the greasy part where the engine spits the oil...I would rather like to have it more shiny.

And also in the glass material, how can I add dirt or scratches map so its not very nice and clean??
Any tips?

Thanks

xcut0r

I think the best approach would be using the General Shader, instead of the Metal one.

here's a quick example of what I'm talking about:

As you can see, I've used 3 different textures, a normal map, a specular map and a diffuse map. The one that controls the shiness of your texture would be the specular map.

Hope this explanation to be usefull.

cumps
Tiago Saraiva

harshcg

Col I'll try that out thnx.
Any tips on getting dirty glass?

Burkhard

What about glass material and use an alpha texture as decal?

harshcg

in glass material there is no option for Alpha.
There i Bump and Decal, which doesn't give me dirt map option.
I assume this is quite basic option to be in a glass material. Am i missing something here?

Thanks

Burkhard

When trying Keyshot I made a dirt Texture by using the bumpmap and decals option with the images attached:

First is the finished image. I used the basic texture in the texture channel.
Aplying a second scratch texture as bumpmap and used the last picture as decal for darker areas ( as tiff image )

harshcg

What 'Material' did you use these textures with? Cause Glass material doesn't have any texture and decal channels.
KS moderators, is it possible what I'm looking for? Something like the attached image...

Thanks

Burkhard

If I use a glass material I have Bump Maps and the label of course.
Try to load a scratch material in the bumpmap channel ( try also  "use as normals" ) then you can load a tiff image like above as label and position this to your glass material. Should work!

KeyShot

I believe you can achieve this look using a combination of a bumpmap and a label (representing the dirt layer).

-- Henrik

harshcg

Thanks a lot guys. I am doing some tests and they are looking quite satisfying. I'll post some renders tonight.
Henrik, is it possible to add an alpha channel to the Glass material in the next update? Would be really useful i think.

KeyShot

Yes, an alpha channel on glass is high on the todo list.

-- Henrik

harshcg

Awesome!
Here is a small shading test that I'm ding to achieve good looking metal panels. Both the renders are using General shader. Just the normal map is being used differently.
1st render on left is using normal map in Parameter tab under texture.
2nd render n right is using Normal Map from Bumpmap tab.

You can see first render is getting some artifacts on the edge. Any idea why is i doing that?
Which way is better for using Normalmaps?

harshcg

and this is with the glass test. I'm not able to achieve desired dirty glass effect.
Bump makes it like an Itched glass and with Label doesn't give trnsparency atall...even thought I tred different formats like PNG with 20opacity, TGA with alpha channel 3bit.

Would be great if anyone of you have tried making such dirty glass and like to share your setup.  :-\

harshcg

I am expecting a solution from Keyshot staff, if there is. As I believe these tests I'm doing are only going to help this software more widely used in the industry. And these points I think are not that tough to solve?
Thanks

rkulshrestha

Howzzat  :)