"Perspective Box" tool + Occlusion Maps & .ksp

Started by Speedster, June 18, 2017, 02:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Been working on a particularly gnarly client rendering, that has to place in their backplates and storyboard, and the perspective has been tough to capture.  The Perspective Tool" works sort of, but it's more of an eyeball thing- it has to "look" right, not be right.  You know the drill!

So this morning I had a wild-ass idea.  Put a "Perspective Box" around the model to act as a visual aid.  So I opened a new .bip and dropped in my long-term project, my SolidWorks 1971 VW Super Beetle, the real of which is parked out in the garage and is about 80% restored.

I then inserted a geometry cube, resized it to box the car, put some black on it, and then applied the rectangular mesh opacity map.  I resized the map a bit.

Voila!  A "Perspective Tool" to help establish vanishing points and aid visual placement, and of course it "travels" with the model. Makes setting the FL a breeze!  Hide of course for rendering!

Stupid simple, about 5 minutes!

The Bug is a WIP that I may never finish!

Bill G

jhiker

quigley

Great Idea! Wouldn't it be fantastic if Luxion implemented something like this as an object in Keyshot (like add groundplane). Just select an object or group of objects, and have Keyshot create a bounding object based on that selection.

An extension to this would be to allow lens distortion that is common in camera phones. Most of our backdrop work is adding structures to site photos taken by sales guys or installers, so we have to adjust for tilt, distortion and so on. Sometimes it is easy, but most of the time it takes tweaking in Photoshop - which is always a pain as this is after the event as it is far easier to edit in the render window.

The whole photo matching thing needs a total rework IMHO - not least of all the ability to push the backdrop image to the from and make it transparent - sometimes you need to be able to align with objects that the rendered object covers.

Josh3D

Haha. Pretty cool idea there Bill!

Could have this as an object in another bip and add it in whenever you needed it.

Speedster

QuoteCould have this as an object in another bip and add it in whenever you needed it.
That's what I'm doing now!  I did up new occlusion maps, thick and thin, which work great!  Occlusion Maps and a "Large Auto Grid Box" .ksp attached-
Bill G

NM-92

Speedster

Quotenot least of all the ability to push the backdrop image to the from and make it transparent
I often duplicate the model, and apply a very lightly frosted clear glass to it.  You can then see thru it to the backplate.  When all is OK, just hide the glass model and show the real deal for rendering.
Bill G

LayC42

Quote from: quigley on June 19, 2017, 11:00:31 AM
Great Idea! Wouldn't it be fantastic if Luxion implemented something like this as an object in Keyshot (like add groundplane).

If you need such objects often, just save the hip or obj in the models folder in the resources path. Then it will appear in edit > add geometry.

quigley

True but I'm thinking about an autoscaling version

quigley

Quote from: Speedster on June 19, 2017, 04:59:52 PM
I often duplicate the model, and apply a very lightly frosted clear glass to it.  You can then see thru it to the backplate.  When all is OK, just hide the glass model and show the real deal for rendering.
Bill G

Great idea! put my new 40 core workstation to good use