Main Menu

ID Visuals

Started by dan, April 26, 2011, 09:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan

Hi Guys
We've recently launched our new website with lots of ID visuals done using the wonderful Keyshot. Here's a few examples:

Dan
www.greavesbest.co.uk

KeyShot

Looks great! Thanks for sharing!

Henrik

jjeconomaki

Those are terrific!  Can you share how you did the hand shots?

-John

feher

Dan,
What can I say, those images are wonderful. Keyshot at it's best for sure.
Thanks for sharing.
Tim

guest84672

Awesome images - can you send in higher res so we can include in our gallery?

Thanks, Thomas

dan

Thanks for the kind words guys! If you have a hunt about in various stock image libraries there's lot of hand poses you can use... these are a good start: http://www.shutterstock.com/cat.mhtml?searchterm=hands&x=0&y=0&search_group=&lang=en&search_source=search_form#id=61554610

so workflow is something like this:

1. Select a hand image
2. Use the image as a backplate to line up the angles
3. Make sure the lighting is from roughly the same angle and brightness/gamma etc (hdr light studio can help with this!)
4. Hit render (you can delete the backplate at this point if you like)
5. Render a Clown Mask
6. Compost in Photoshop (chop out any bits where the hand needs to be in front)
7. Use the clown mask to select areas where there might be reflections from the hands and do a bit of creative airbrushing

Thomas where would you like me to send some Hi-Res versions?

Dan

jhiker

Forgive my ignorance, but what's a clown mask?

Nero7

Awsome shots, great work :). What CAD software did you use for the 3D models?

dan

Cheers! We mostly use solidworks....

A clown mask (not sure if that's an industry standard term but it's what we use here...bright colours, clown's faces?? there's a connection somewhere) is a render from the exact same angle as your chosen shot with flat colours differentiating the various materials and parts. You can then use it as an underlay in photoshop to make slections with the magic wand and adjust colour/brightness etc of specific parts....in short very very useful

hope this helps

Dan

PhilippeV8

Aaand .. it does :)

That's a clear explanation right there ... that image helps a lot.

BTW, I heard of a "clown pass" before but didn't quite know what it did.
Someone should make a clear tutorial with illustration on all the different types of passes, cuz I know that there are more.

Speedster

The "clown pass" is a really valuable tool, as it creates a pixel-for-pixel duplicate of the beauty shot making selectio a breeze.

Here's a few tricks I use.

1)  Use only "flat" material from the drop down menu.  I use only six colors, but not white.  Open a Clown Pass library folder, and create the color palette to suit.
2)  For precision selection in Photoshop, never allow any color applied to one surface touch the same color applied to another surface that you want to separate out.  This is easy to do by accident.
3)  For the surfaces in direct contact (for want of a better word) with the backplate, choose a color(s) that is close to the background color of the backplate, to avoid the slight halo that often happens with the Magic Wand.  For example, use a flat grey for a grey backplate, or blue for a bluish backplate.  If you use flat pink against a bluish backplate you would get a tiny pink halo.  Use defringe in Photoshop.
4)  If you are rendering only one image, lock your camera for each image pass!
5)  If multiple images, use "Save View" for each beauty shot.  After the beauty pass, when it's time for the clown pass, go to the saved view, be sure to LOCK the camera, then render out.
6)  If it's a complex model with many materials, I always create, save view(s), and render all the beauty shots first.  Then, BEFORE the clown passes, SAVE the .bip.  Then go ahead and apply your clown colors, and render each with your saved views.  Then you can exit WITHOUT saving and you're back to the original and it save a lot of work.
7)  I always hide the Backplate, hide the Environment, disable Ground Shadows (there are times when you won't want to) and render the clown passes against a white background.
8)  MOST IMPORTANT!  When it's time for Photoshop, use "Open With" to import first the clown pass, and save the .psd.  Do NOTHING yet, like resize, crop, or anything.  Now, use ONLY the "Place" command to import the beauty pass. This way the images are in perfect alignment.  Be sure to lock the layers.  Then, you're off and running!
Hope this helps-
Bill G

dan

Great tips Bill! Now what would be great is if Keyshot output a clown pass automatically!

Dan

feher

If we have Keyshot do everything for us then what do we do ?.... ;)

PhilippeV8

Ok, Clown Pass is clear now .. how about Clay-pass ?  What's it used for and most important, how is it used .. and does anyone have a good clay material for the job ?