Geometry View/Editor

Started by TGS808, July 10, 2017, 05:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TGS808

When in geometry view to edit and split parts of a model I first "center and fit" the part so I can see what I'm doing.  I can tumble the camera around the part no problem but there appears to be no way to pan the camera in geometry view. Sometimes it's pretty hard to click all the parts I need to turn green in order to split the object by just tumbling around it. Being able to pan it left, right, up and down would be really helpful/useful. Is there a way to do it?  Am I missing something obvious?

Esben Oxholm

Hi.
I'm able to pan in the geometry view by pressing and holding down the scroll wheel.
Not sure what you can do if you have a mouse without one, though.

Best,

mattjgerard

Yep, same navigation controls as in the live viewer. I would love it if the Geometry view would automatically center and fit the part if it was RMB+Clicked on to edit the geometry. Every mouse click saved is a time saver for me.

TGS808

Thanks Esben!  :D I didn't have my scroll ball set to be a button. In the mouse settings I had to assign it to be "button 3" now the panning in geometry view works! Boy is this gonna make things easier. I knew it didn't make sense that it couldn't be done.

mattjgerard

Just curious, how did you pan in the live viewer?

TGS808

I clicked on the tool in the ribbon at the top of the screen. Yes, soooo many trips to the top of the screen. Soooo much switching between tumble and pan. And soooo many extra clicks. I can hear you cringing from here. lol  ;) I've been doing it this way for months but now Esben has set me free. He gets the lifesaver of the day award. I never was that troubled by having to click in the tool bar (though in all my Adobe stuff I'm keyboard shortcuts all the way) but at the very least I was able to pan in the live view. Working in the geometry view without panning has been a challenge to say the least. I'm glad those days are now over.

I've been a user of Macs only since 94 so I hail from the days of the single button mouse. Back then there was no right click on Mac. The way I position my hand on the mouse my middle finger (my clicking finger) falls where "right click" would be. But for me, that's my primary "left click". I could never get used to the whole right/left click so I just set both sides of the mouse (standard Mac mighty mouse with no split between the "buttons") to the same "primary click" essentially making it a single button mouse. If I need a "right click" I hold down the Control key. (cringing again?  ;) ) I generally set the track ball button to open the dash board but it has now permanently been assigned "button 3" (or really in my case button 2  ;D ).

Esben Oxholm

Haha, I'm impressed you haven't gone mad going to the ribbon all the time. I know I would. Happy to help you out :)

mattjgerard

From a fellow mac user for 15-20 years, I feel your pain! Switching to PC when I went freelance and built my own rig (had to be PC due to cost/performance ratio) it was a long fight to retrain my reflexes and muscle memory. 8 months in and I'm doing ok, but I still get a cramp in my pinky hitting the ctrl key waaaaaaay out there. I never used the standard apple mice, they were always designed for looks rather than function. Carpal tunnel  hazards, all of them. So, I never had a problem with 2-3 button mice.

And as for keyboard shortcuts, at my last  job I was in the Adobe Suite 12 hours a day, and my keyboard shortcuts were so convoluted from the standard ones my boss would refuse to work on my machine (which was nice!) and I assume that my shortcuts for KS 7 will be the same way and I can't wait! If I don't have to touch the mouse, I'm a happy man. Biggest peeve with KS6 is the (at least) 3 clicks to get to the move tool, and that is changed in 7. Just that little workflow tweak will make me smile every day.

TGS808

Quote from: mattjgerard on July 12, 2017, 07:12:10 AMBiggest peeve with KS6 is the (at least) 3 clicks to get to the move tool

Indeed, that is pretty annoying but I love KS so much I've been able to overlook it. Really looking forward to the release of KS7. My plan is to watch the preview webinar when I get home later to see the new stuff. I've been waiting for it and didn't realize it had been posted until late last night.

You're right for the most part about the Apple mice. I like the Mighty Mouse but the Magic (wireless) Mouse is garbage. Looks cool but as you said, a carpal tunnel hazard for sure. Not to mention the constantly dying batteries. I tossed that one aside instantly. Esben did bring up an interesting point though in his first post here about panning with a mouse that lacks that third button. The Magic mouse it would seem is unable to be used to pan in KS. So, what would one do? Buy a new mouse I guess.

richardfunnell

If you don't have a middle mouse button on your Mac, you can use Shift + Option + Control + LMB to pan. It's on the Hotkey list (K).

I'm a long time Apple user myself but couldn't live without a true 3+ button mouse. 

mattjgerard

Using a magic mouse is the same as eating lutefisk.

Throw it in the garbage and get something else:)

TGS808

Thanks Richard. I'll pass that info along to my co-workers that have the Magic Mouse (I don't know how they use it, the poor bastards) and let them know they may need to grow some extra fingers to pan.  ;D Who knows, maybe they'll finally consider getting new mice.

TGS808

Quote from: mattjgerard on July 12, 2017, 03:15:05 PM
Using a magic mouse is the same as eating lutefisk.

Throw it in the garbage and get something else:)

;D

mattjgerard

I've moved to the Logitech MX Master, its a bit spendy, but totally worth it. And I can move it from my PC to my macbook pro and my iMac without moving dongles or settings. I've tried using tablets, but just couldn't get the hang of it.