trying to create a light wash.. ?

Started by rfollett, July 13, 2017, 05:22:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfollett

trying to create a light blue wash on bottom desk.. looks crap..tried increasing samples on area light but still not much better..

is there a better way? working in Rhino

rfollett

richardfunnell

rfollett

see attached - many thanks

Esben Oxholm

Hi there.
I did a small region render in the real-time view and it looks like it needs to cook for at least 1000 samples to give a somewhat smooth result.

What render-setting did you use?
For more complex stuff I've heard that the advanced setting can give a slightly different result compared to the real time view, as it uses a different rendering algorithm. Using max samples or max time should give you exactly what you see in the real time view.

Hope it helps,

richardfunnell

Hi rfollett,

Generally speaking, you will probably want to use the Interior setting if you are working on a scene that's predominantly dependent on physical lights. You will otherwise have a tough time with bright spots when using the standard KS rendering techniques unless you let the image render for much longer.
I also hid the ground plane since it didn't add much to this scene, and will only complicate the interior mode calculation.

I took a look at your scene and tweaked a few things, here's a recap of the changes in the attached KSP:
Materials - Increased material samples for each material visible to 16. Some materials like basic plastic don't have that parameter visible, so I changed them to Plastic (transparent) and updated them that way. Otherwise the settings looked good.
Environment - I used a more dynamic HDRI and decreased the brightness. This makes the lights easier to see.
Camera - I used a Shift lens (two-point perspective) to get rid of the vertical convergence.
Lighting Presets - in this scene I modified the starting "Interior" preset to increase shadow quality, but otherwise the scene looked good.
Rendering - Max Samples was used (set to 1024) but the rendering looked good after about 18 minutes on 14 cores so I stopped it early. For Interior mode you'll need to used either Max Time or Samples instead of Advanced Control; the value will probably exceed 128 so I would run some tests images on your hardware.

Hopefully this is enough info, let me know if you have any other questions.

rfollett

thank you guys.. for your help.. This bothers me that it has to take so long and I have to use interior mode (which also takes forever) just to get a blue light was!

1000 samples - is that on the light material or the scene?

I try not to work with interior as I need to render quickly for client...

richardfunnell

High samples on the scene; the material samples in my example were set to 16.

The tough thing is that the lights are physically accurate, so there's a good bit of calculation needed! You may be able to get away with less, but try the updated scene on your system and let us know how it goes.

mattjgerard

Anything that is soft in 3D takes longer to render. Soft edged shadows, light falloffs, soft blurry reflections, diffuse lights, all of which is happening in your scene. There is no switch that will make it render a ton faster, there are the tweaks that Richard mentioned, but nothing that's going to cut it in half. Unless you cut your render dimensions. Stuff will look good though.