AMD Thread Ripper 16C\32T @ 3.4Ghz
AMD Epyc 24C\48T 2.0Ghz

Go for higher clocks or more threads?

Will Gibbons

Quote from: mattjgerard on July 14, 2017, 10:18:37 AM
32(threads)*3.4(GHz) = 108.8
and
48(threads)*2.0(GHz) = 96

Unfortunately, this isn't going to lead you to the faster user experience. I've gone down this rabbit hole before myself. This post begins to uncover why this multiplying the clock speed by the core count doesn't work https://superuser.com/questions/167131/how-do-i-calculate-clock-speed-in-multi-core-processors
This also is a great article from a more 'official' source https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Estimating-CPU-Performance-using-Amdahls-Law-619/

The other thing that needs considering is whether the reported clock speed is the actual base clock or a boost speed that can be reached for short periods of time. Additionally, the speeds are different from one generation of processor to the next even if their core and clock speed are identical because of efficiency increases.

That aside, I know you asked a question. I'm unable to answer this for you. If I were you, I'd call the support line of the manufacturer of your current machine and tell them you're considering an upgrade and ask them which one would be faster for your needs. I'd try to get an actual technical person on the line who's going to explain which one will be the better choice rather than just looking at the bigger number and telling you 3.4ghz is faster than 2ghz.

All that said... my gut tells me that the 24 core will be faster for KeyShot. Again. Do your research and ask a pro, but I have a feeling, the more cores will generally be better when you're in KS.

DMerz III

Is this only a build for CPU rendering/Keyshot? Or will you be using this machine for other work such as modeling? Some programs (not Keyshot) cannot take full advantage of multi-threaded CPU, so while you may have lots of cores, certain tasks are only using 1 core at that base speed. This was a big consideration for me when I was looking at building my home build machine. I opted for higher single core speed in lieu of a few more cores, but it was dependent on what I was using the machine for most of the time.

That's why, as Will mentioned, it is so difficult to compare CPUs, it really is dependent on your daily use.