Working on render skills...

Started by Black-Tooth, July 25, 2017, 01:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black-Tooth

I did these in ZBrush quite a while ago, but I've recently been playing around with them in Keyshot. I'm trying to improve the render and make it look better, so please give as much criticism, feed back and suggestions as you can. What can I do to improve the render?

I'm not really sure it looks pleasing to the eye.   :-[

Thank you for looking.

Speedster

Well, I'll start by saying this is superb modeling!  As a Zbrush newbie with a skill rating of about 0.2, I'm jealous!

Some suggestions-

Try a "clay" material, more reddish-brown, and tweak the specular to suit.  The grey is rather dead looking.

Use an environment with sharper shadows and contrast to bring out and highlight the exceptional detail.  You can tweak the HDR Editor for this, especially "tilt".

Maybe change the background to basic black, or use a JPG like a vignette.

Use vignette on the image tab.

And most important, keep posting!  Your work is an inspiration!

Bill G

NM-92

I agree with basically everything that Bill said. You can try to create your very own clay material by adding some imperfections and why not a red/brown colour variation with a noise procedural. Model looks awesome so you won't have trouble showing it off. Play with different camera angles, try some crazy ones. There's a lot you can do, but everything gets down to experimentation.

Black-Tooth

Thank you for the kind words about my work.   :D

I don't have the ZBrush to Keyshot bridge so don't have access to the clay materials. The material I'm currently using is the hard rough plastic with a few edits. I also have 3 lights places in the scene with geometry, with no lighting from any pre-made Keyshot background.

I do think the back ground needs a lot of work, as you mentioned. It's very flat and dead. I'll try to see what I can come up with and post the results. When talking about the HDR editor, I can't see any option of "tilt." Maybe I'm missing it.   ???

I'm going to be away for a week or two, but I'll post the results when I get back. Thank you so much for the kind words about my models and for taking the time to help me out.  :)