Eastern Hard Rock Maple Textures

Started by jjeconomaki, March 28, 2011, 11:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjeconomaki

I had a need for this material so created a texture set.   The edge, face and end grain textures are keyed with a pencil mark that can be removed in Photoshop if needed. This material can be useful for butcher block counters, workbench tops, etc. Maybe somebody will find this useful.

All textures are in the attached package. Not a fancy render but the grain matches.

-John

guest84672

I like it. Especially the top bar is nice.

Richman

How did you go about making these textures?  scans, photographs??

I have progressively gotten into make more detailed materials myself.  tiling, making bump maps, matching tile texture with bump maps.  Now I'm starting with my own scans of textures.

jjeconomaki

Richman;

I took a piece of maple, prepped it a bit with sandpaper and a handplane, and then placed each face on a flatbed scanner for scanning. Used a fairly high resolution. Tweeked the output a bit in Photoshop. This created the jpegs used as textures.

(On one corner of the board I made connected diagonals so I would not have to fish for the correct orientation.)

On the one face where you see the sawn edge, I used the same image (synced) as a bump map.

Hope this helps.

John

PhilippeV8

Is it just me or is there sumfin wrong with this bip ?  When I open it up, I see no wood-textures and the parts have missing faces  ???

trice1

jjeconomaki

Maybe the developers should look at that file, it was saved as a package--it is my understanding that the textures should be included.

Anyway, textures attached.

-John

trice1

Now we have your textures. Thanks jjeconomaki.

jjeconomaki

Glad you got the textures.

Now, if you create a model that is  10" x 2.5 x 1.75, and place these textures using the indexed corners, you will see how damn hard it is to position these precisely.

I hope you all agree--at least I thought it was overly laborious.

--John

PhilippeV8

Took me under 30min.
Lost most time finding a good environement setup & lighting ... I eventualy turned back to a "studio" render.

Nice textures & THNX 4 sharing !!

Cheers,

trice1

Hard Maple texture courtesy of jjeconomaki

brettcasteel

Wow i really like that one Good Job

jjeconomaki

Trice!

That's cool!  Add a little motion PS blur to the cutter (I know, it is sacrilege) and maybe to the chips too...

Also, add a little "blulge" to the rubber that shows the clamp pads under compression and that would add quite a bit of realism.

Nice.

-John

trice1

Thanks Brett, thanks John. Don't have PhotoShop, but now that you mention it I see that 'motion blur' is in my Gimp program. If I can figure it out I'll try it. Seems trying to learn Keyshot is taking most of my time, if you know what I mean.

trice1

Don't laugh, but here is a Gimp attempt at radial motion blur. I don't see how you could do this with an oblique view and have it look right.