How to render piled-up objects?

Started by fa2020, August 01, 2017, 10:12:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fa2020

Hi,
Recently, I piled up objects in 3ds max and exported it as FBX file into KS 6.3. The file size was roughly 1GB. Keyshot could load it successfully but I think the file size is large enough to occupy more RAM. What is the standard method for rendering such scenes in Keyshot?

Will Gibbons

It looks like you've done it! It's unclear what your issue is.

andy.engelkemier

Keyshot is 64bit. I don't think you'll hit a memory limit. You might be having video card issues, but that shouldn't effect render time.  You just might have a difficult time navigating in the viewport.

I don't believe Keyshot allows for instancing. I'm guessing your Max file is only like 5-10MB though, because those objects Should be instanced. Have you thought about just using ART render for that shot? There are only a couple downsides to it compared to Keyshot, and it's noise reduction is far better than Keyshot. The Physical material there is also quite a bit better. Keyshot is great for some things, but it's not for everything for sure. Always be sure you're using the right tool.

mattjgerard

I've done this sort of image out of Cinema using its mograph cloner for making a hopper full of peanuts. I think there ended up being something in the order of 5000-ish clones when ported over to KS, all converted to polys. In Cinema if I converted the cloner to polys the view port got sluggish when navigating, but i found out that the plugin did the poly conversion for me, so I kept the cloner as instances in C4D, made navigating much better.

But when those clones came over to KS, there was no slowdown in the viewport or rendering. Handled the scene just fine. Considering my peanuts were very high poly, this was very impressive. I don't think there is anything wrong with the way you are doing it other than just using the 3DS max Keyshot plugin, but I'm not sure that would gain you anything other than some live-linking benefits that you might not need. At least in C4D the live linking is a bit finicky, so I'm not using it as much as I could if my workflow was a bit better.

Will Gibbons

KeyShot handles large poly counts really well. I've only had RAM issues back when I had 16gb RAM and I had a bunch of 8K textures on a material. I then unlinked all materials resulting in those 8K textures being multiplied onto hundreds of parts. That was a while back. Not sure if the same behavior would happen. You shouldn't run into a RAM issue with this.

Despot

I've never had any issues with RAM usage in KS, even opening a 8.5GB obj - which consisted of 48 million triangles