Keyshot 7: Animating Pistons Easier?

Started by BLSmith2112, August 03, 2017, 05:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLSmith2112

Hi everyone. My name is Brandon, I am not a Keyshot owner, and have never properly used the program. The one time tried Keyshot, I learned that animating a CAD model piston was incredible difficult with Keyshot regarding multiple constraints, etc., which had us explore other options (Cinema4D, MODO, Maya). Does Keyshot 7 provide additional functionality in this regard, or should we continue pursuing other options. Thank you.

Will Gibbons

Hi Brandon. As far as animating complex mechanical parts and mechanisms, you will be limited to whatever you're able to import into KeyShot. You can import .abc (alembic files) and .obj sequence of animations (including mesh deformations). From the CAD side of things, you'll be able to import mechanisms from Creo. As far as creating those animations from scratch in KeyShot, you may struggle as there are no joints, mates, reverse kinematics or degrees of freedom in KeyShot's animation tools.

That said, I've heard that KeyShot 8 will be focusing on improved animation tools, so you may want to keep an open eye for upcoming news on that.

I hope that helps.