Light reflections on silver

Started by DEVS, August 01, 2017, 01:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEVS

What is the right set-up to make the text visible? I have tried in many ways but the reflection of light creates a shadow over the engraved letters :'(

jhiker

Rotate the environment to catch the shadows? Turn the brightness down a bit? Try a different lighting environment?

DriesV

My number-one advice would be to add small radii on the edges of the letter geometry.
The issue is that, no matter what lighting you are using, there is no geometry to catch the highlights.

Adding small edge blends will make a huge difference.

Dries

DEVS

Quote from: jhiker on August 01, 2017, 01:53:54 AM
Rotate the environment to catch the shadows? Turn the brightness down a bit? Try a different lighting environment?

I did and tried everything, even changing the environment and adding light points but I could not get a better result than what you see :-\

DEVS

Quote from: DriesV on August 01, 2017, 02:02:35 AM
My number-one advice would be to add small radii on the edges of the letter geometry.
The issue is that, no matter what lighting you are using, there is no geometry to catch the highlights.

Adding small edge blends will make a huge difference.

Dries

With which command can I illuminate the edges? It would be a good idea :-)

DriesV

For best results, you'd have to add the rounds in your CAD application.

If you are using KeyShot Pro, then you can also try the Rounded Edges feature in KeyShot.
Manual
Webinar

Dries

jasonbaldwin

I have the same issues with rendering embossed/debossed plastics and glass for automotive lighting, and the best solution I've seen and started using is rendering a second time with the Occlusion material applied to the model, changing its type from Diffuse to Flat, and layering the occlusion rendering over the original in Photoshop as a Multiply layer. YMMV.

DEVS

Quote from: DriesV on August 01, 2017, 04:02:41 AM
For best results, you'd have to add the rounds in your CAD application.

If you are using KeyShot Pro, then you can also try the Rounded Edges feature in KeyShot.
Manual
Webinar

Dries

thanks Dries :-)

DEVS

Quote from: jasonbaldwin on August 01, 2017, 05:37:12 AM
I have the same issues with rendering embossed/debossed plastics and glass for automotive lighting, and the best solution I've seen and started using is rendering a second time with the Occlusion material applied to the model, changing its type from Diffuse to Flat, and layering the occlusion rendering over the original in Photoshop as a Multiply layer. YMMV.

Can you give me an example through screashoot?