Cinebench end all be all

Started by menizzi, August 09, 2017, 08:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

menizzi

For example

If AMD Thread Ripper gets a score of [3200] and a pair of Xeon E5 2650 24c/48T gets [2900] Thread Ripper will be faster period? I was going to buy a Dual Cpu set up from a vender but if TR build can be done for say $2500 or less then no reason to buy a $4000 Pre built Dual. Just asking because I did not know if Cinebench was end all be all.

Despot

Quote from: menizzi on August 09, 2017, 08:22:50 AM
For example

If AMD Thread Ripper gets a score of [3200] and a pair of Xeon E5 2650 24c/48T gets [2900] Thread Ripper will be faster period? I was going to buy a Dual Cpu set up from a vender but if TR build can be done for say $2500 or less then no reason to buy a $4000 Pre built Dual. Just asking because I did not know if Cinebench was end all be all.

Well if you added a twin turbocharged doofus doll to the second from last cheese cracker - it might just work...

mattjgerard

Quote from: Despot on August 09, 2017, 09:03:40 AM
Quote from: menizzi on August 09, 2017, 08:22:50 AM
For example

Well if you added a twin turbocharged doofus doll to the second from last cheese cracker - it might just work...

Bahahahaaaa.... Best response ever.

And just for fun I ran CineBench on my box and I got 1559 from a couple E5-2620 12C/24Threads running at 2.4GHz.

menizzi

Does it have to be from the second from last cheese cracker?

btw
Thats going to be my new sig over on [H]

Despot

Bahahahaaaa.... Best response ever.

Thanks Matt  :-[

Quote from: menizzi on August 09, 2017, 09:59:09 AM
Does it have to be from the second from last cheese cracker?

btw
Thats going to be my new sig over on [H]

Sorry man, I actually thought this was spam... damn, think I will have to have checks to see if I'm on the spectrum...  :-[

DriesV

Relative Cinebench scores are usually a very accurate indicator of relative KeyShot performance.
From the looks of it, Threadripper is a killer CPU for rendering. 8)

It appears indeed that a single Threadripper 1950X (MSRP $999) performs on par with a dual Xeon E5-2650 v4 (MSRP 2 x $1170).
That is an incredible value proposition.

Dries

menizzi

Thanks. I just did not know if Cinebench was just testing out the whole cpu or just parts of it to get a score. It does seem like its doing more for less.

DriesV

It does a pretty great job at simulating a typical rendering workload. It has been a reliable benchmark for many years.

The dual Xeon may very well be faster in other scenarios, workloads or synthetic tests, but those don't matter if the machine is intended for rendering.

Dries