bodies from Solidworks

Started by eric, May 03, 2011, 11:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eric

Is it not possible anymore to assign different materials to separate bodies within a part from solidworks? ???
Keyshot used to recognize bodies.

guest84672

KeyShot 2.2 recognizes individual bodies in the part file. This is all part of the new importer. Before that, KeyShot only recognized separate bodies if they were colored differently.

eric

yes I know. But what do we do wrong?
We have SW2011 SP3.0 with the new Keyshot importer and use Keyshot 2.2.65.
When we import an assembly with parts with separate bodies, with different colors, the parts import as one body with one color. (even when the bodies have different colors)
When I assign material the whole part changes as one body.
I cannot see the bodies in the tree.

It seems that only when I change the colors of the faces in SW I can assign different materials.

My colleague pointed me at the exact same glitch. He has the same workstation and configuration.

please help.

guest84672

eric

eric

miike

Hi there

I actually share the same issue.

SW 2011 Sp 3.0 ...latest Keyshot installed ( standalone 2.265 and SW2011 plugin ...issue however already started to occur with the Keyshot 2.0 update and SW 2011)

When I open/import a Multibody-SW part file etc in Keyshot directly( including different colors for each part ) it works very well and all the separate parts are recognized.

If the same file is opened in Keyshot directly via the SW plugin..directly through the SW interface...Keyshot is merging all the separate colored parts together to one unibody.

This issue didn't occur in the former  2009/2010 SW plugin

This issue occurs with any kind of multibody part file I create with SW 2011. I quickly ran a test file with just 2 simple cubes ( inside the same SW part file...not merged...different colors assigned ). If I try to open this file directly with the KS plugin from within SW2011..Keyshot will "merge" these 2 cubes together and I can't assign different colors.

If this native multibody sw2011 file is saved ( saved out of SW2011 directly ) as a step-file ..imported back into  SW2011 and then opened in Keyshot by using the KS plugin from within SW2011 ...Keyshot treats these 2 cubes as separate parts as it should be.

Any news in that matter ?

Best Regards

miike

guest84672

eric

I'm really suprised that not a lot more people have found this issue.
The SW/Keyshot plugin is a perfect way to quickly setup a render from SW.
In the state it is now it's hardly usable.
The SW2010 exporter worked better.

in my opinion this is a plain bug. I hope you solve this issue soon.

miike

Dear Thomas

Thank you for listening and taking care of that issue.
Do you have any news regarding that matter ?

Best Regards

Miike

guest84672

We will fix this bug in the plugin shortly. It works fine when you import your data directly.

miike

Dear Thomas

Good to hear. Thanx for taking care of that.

well..yes...it works absolutely fine if I directly import the sw file.....but that obviously defeats the purpose of having that plugin.

Regards

eric

Hello Thomas,

It's quiet on this issue for some time. What is the status?
Please don't delay this till V3.
The separation of bodies from the importer is important for us and it used to work in former releases.

guest84672

We are consolidating all plugins to have a consistent install location, hence the delay. We hope to get this wrapped up shortly.

Your patience is much appreciated.

eric

Hello Thomas,

Please tell me WHEN this will be solved.
We have several Keyshot licenses and really need to be able to assign materials to SW bodies.
Its more than three months ago that I contacted technical support because of this bug.

I think its not fair to take away functionality from paying customers for such a long time.
I understand that you want to improve the installers for all importers but I'd be happy with just a bug fix at this time.

Also some feedback from technical support would be nice.
If I contact sales for a license upgrade I get feedback right away....