Water drop textures from Poliigon

Started by mattjgerard, May 30, 2017, 09:55:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

Hey everyone, I've signed up for the trial from poliigon to test out the imperfections textures. They look amazing, but I'm having trouble getting them to work in KS. I am specifically looking for the water drop/spot textures. I have food prep tables and machines that I need to show in the process of washdown, parts getting wet, etc. Vertical surfaces with water drops/drips on them will be the big challenges. I downloaded this texture package-

https://www.poliigon.com/texture/2401

Came with a bunch of files-
ALPHA MASKED
DIFFUSE
DISPLACEMENT
DISPLACEMENT 16BIT
GLOSS
NORMALS
NORMALS 16BIT
REFLECTION

And by watching the tutorials on their website I've matched them to KS terms as such-

Diffuse = Color
Normal = Bump
Displacement- Not used
Refelction- Specular
Gloss- Roughness

So, when I map these in a plastic material, I 'm not getting anything near what I would expect, I see it trying to work, but I'm just not seeing how to get them to look like proper water drops. I've tried using them as a label, but the opacity map doesn't work, it just wipes out the whole thing, and can't see anything. I made some progress by messing with the contrast/brightness of the alpha map, but just not working. I'm using the default HDRI.

Are there any other tips for using these poliigon textures in KS?  I don't think I can share the ksp file with the textures, but correct me if I am wrong, and I'll pack it up and upload it.

DMerz III

Looks like you're heading in the right direction in terms of where the maps plug into, however, you're going to have trouble getting the drops to look REALLY realistic without displacement. Unfortunately, you cannot get displacement in Keyshot at the moment. It is something you can create in your modeling program, apply as geometry, and then bring that mesh into Keyshot then apply the rest of your maps here as well.

Hope that helps

INNEO_MWo

Your way hits the right direction. But you need some additional nodes like color to number or color composite to get full control. And instead of plastic material on a metal, I would use an advanced or plastic transparent material.

Attached you'll find a "quick n dirty" solution with procedural textures instead of Poliigon textures.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Marco

mattjgerard

Well, after much tweaking and such, I am at the end of my alloted time for this project. The end client was very happy a long time ago, but i had to keep pushing it, well, just because. So here it is. main focus is the light at the top of the cabinet. I am still not 100% satisfied, I think it is a lack of color thing, and maybe some contrast issues. Or maybe its just way over done :) Now that I look at it the fake DOF is a bit heavy handed, but the decision-by-committee crowd liked it as it let the product stand out more.

PeterSwift

you should just use real DOF.  Becouse that the fake one you are using is mostly making everything quite .. "glowing,"   and DOF dont work that way.  But I dont know why you would want DOF on photo like this. It's so much going on. I would Skip the DOF. And then to a close up of what you wanna focus on, and then activate real DOF on that rendering.
Good luck :)

mattjgerard

Quote from: PeterSwift on August 14, 2017, 08:16:42 AM
you should just use real DOF.  Becouse that the fake one you are using is mostly making everything quite .. "glowing,"   and DOF dont work that way.  But I dont know why you would want DOF on photo like this. It's so much going on. I would Skip the DOF. And then to a close up of what you wanna focus on, and then activate real DOF on that rendering.
Good luck :)

i am admittedly lacking in skill on the DOF part, the idea was because the image was so busy to direct the eyes to the product, which is quite unassuming in the context of the complexity of the scene. Yes, the look is more of a blurred out vignette than a true depth of field look. The other issue is that we only have room in the print piece for the single image, so trying to cram the detail of the product as well as the "Scene" around the product which gives it its context was a bit problematic. Everything is a compromise when budget dictates the number of pages in the brochure :) This is one of my early images in my new job, and i went a bit overboard on a lot of things in this one! I would be interested in seeing if there is a way to do a tilt-shift lens type of DOF in Keyshot. There are other reasons why i don't like to do DOF in KS, but its pretty specific to the limitations of my workflow with my end clients.

Will Gibbons

Yeah, I see the challenge. I personally always use the 'in-camera' DoF especially when pushing the DoF pretty high. I think it could have worked on this image, but agree the blur is a bit heavy. I'd personally just try re-rendering this as-is (just as a case study) with no blur and push the DoF even higher so the focus is a bit more intense and obvious. Of course, as you know the distance of your camera and overall scale of the object has an effect on this. I've found that playing with the distance of the camera and the perspective together can help dial in the amount of blur and overall depth of the field of focus.