Texture wrapping issue on clear object

Started by pauls, August 14, 2017, 04:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauls

Hi, I have an advanced material on a phone case I'm rendering, and I can't figure out how to get the label to wrap around far enough. See attached image.

The model is a clear phone case, and the label on the back starts to show on the inside of the case if I increase the depth to try to fix it.

I've tried splitting the geometry and separating the inside surface, but that just causes artifacts because it's an open, clear surface. I briefly messed around with different projections, but they didn't seem like they would get me where I needed to be.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

DriesV

This is a tricky one.
You might be best off creating a separate surface with a very small offset. And then put the labels on that surface.

Would that be a feasible solution for this use case?

Dries

pauls

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think that will work in this case because I'm doing a 360 shot of the case rotating, and I think the edges of that small surface will catch the light as it turns and be visible.

I appreciate your help.

Paul

mattjgerard

I have had to do the same a what Dries suggested for decal surfaces. It actually works fairly well, and in reality at least with my decal. the tiniest thickness to the decal gives it just a bit more realism since there is actually thickness to a decal. I'm not sure what the actual construction of your case is, but it would be worth a try. To reduce a sharp glint being reflected off the edge like you are concerned about, try rounding the edge of the surface as well, that will cause a softer reflection, if there is one. Or use the rounding feature in keyshot on that one object.

Sometimes you need to cheat your model to get it to look right, this might be one of those times!

pauls

Yes, I'm totally in favor of cheats when I need to, was just hoping there was a way to do it w/o a hack because I have a bunch of these with different prints on the back, and also the print is imbedded in the plastic, so it's totally smooth and like a clear coat over the whole thing.

I'll give that a try, and if anyone else has another solution, please chime in.

Thank you.
Paul

DriesV

Quote from: pauls on August 15, 2017, 05:08:57 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think that will work in this case because I'm doing a 360 shot of the case rotating, and I think the edges of that small surface will catch the light as it turns and be visible.

I appreciate your help.

Paul

A trick is to make the material of that offset surface a 100% white Glass with a Refractive Index of 1. And then put Labels on top.
That will make the base glass "invisible" while still showing the labels.

Dries

pauls

Oh, that is a great idea. I thought you just meant try to add a piece to fill in where the label wasn't wrapping and try to line up the graphics.

Thanks for the clarification! I'll give that a try.
-P

DriesV

Here is a quick (KeyShot 7) example.

Dries

pauls

I'm on v6 and when I try to open it, it says I need a newer version. Do you have the same file in v6?

DriesV

Here you go.
Should be similar enough. :)

Dries

pauls

That works!

Thank you both for your quick replies. Most helpful!

-P

pauls

Your suggestion solved my wrapping issue. Thanks a ton! Image attached.
-P

mattjgerard

Awesome! Thanks for following up and letting us know it worked. That helps anyone else that might search for a solution to this.