Network Renderer 7 Unable to Start without Admin

Started by msharris22, August 18, 2017, 06:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msharris22

I finished installing Keyshot Network Rendering on my 64 core office network today.  The installs went very fast, but the Network installer refuses to open without an Open as Admin command and password. I installed as admin and have right on all computers. This really sucks as I have 5 other workers under me and can't always be on hand to enter admin passwords. Some of these are contractors and so can't be given admin accounts. Is there a particular reason that the install.exe would have the appropriate Publisher Signatures but the actual executable files don't? All three of the KNR7 executables are like this. The Configurator, the Monitor, and the Launcher. Any thoughts?

Morten Kristensen

Hi Mike,

This concept of running the worker and manager privileged is the same as we used for previous versions of NR. The installer needs to make administrative changes but once you've setup a system, and you can do this silently with a script if you'd prefer that, then it doesn't need you to input passwords anymore since it will run as a service in the background. So yes, initially you install and setup but then you should be able to leave it alone. It only asks for credentials if you open the Configurator afterward to change things.

As to signing executables, I just realized that on Windows with KS v7 only the installer is signed and not the executables (like we do on macOS). Thanks for bringing that up! I will fix this right away for the next version of 7.0+.

msharris22

Great, sounds like that's the fix. Guess I'll be using KNR6 for my organization until then...