Frozen/ice text effect

Started by MikeSJ, August 26, 2017, 01:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeSJ

I've imported a 3D model into KS6 (a simple 3D model the word "FREEZING") and I'd like to apply a material/effect to the text to give it an ice like appearance. I've experimented with a few of the basic materials and settings, but I can't seem to get the look I'm aiming for. Here's an example image I found which is close to what I'm after:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/k26Jfw9URtQ/maxresdefault.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions or setting I could try please?

NM-92

Have you tried a glass material with a very large scale noise texture applied as a bump? I think there's a material called wavy water or sth like that inside liquids.

MikeSJ

Haven't tried that, but I'll have a look around and see if I can find it. Thanks.

Esben Oxholm

Hi Mike.

To get a realistic look, you need to pay attention to your model itself. Now, I don't know what it looks like at the moment, but to get that 'ice' effect you link to, you have to make sure that your text model has the wavy outline that you see. A simple extruded text won't do. If you already have that under control, then don't mind my comment :)

Hope it helps,

NM-92

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on August 27, 2017, 11:12:31 PM
Hi Mike.

To get a realistic look, you need to pay attention to your model itself. Now, I don't know what it looks like at the moment, but to get that 'ice' effect you link to, you have to make sure that your text model has the wavy outline that you see. A simple extruded text won't do. If you already have that under control, then don't mind my comment :)

Hope it helps,

If the extruded text is rounded (Filleted) , then the noise texture can do the trick. Of course it won't deform the geometry too much, but maybe just a bit is enough.

EDIT: Added a test. Solid glass with noise texture applied as bump.

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: NM-92 on August 30, 2017, 11:05:43 AM
Hi Mike.

Hope it helps,

If the extruded text is rounded (Filleted) , then the noise texture can do the trick. Of course it won't deform the geometry too much, but maybe just a bit is enough.

Sure, Nico. Looks good!
It was just if he was hoping to get an actual distorted silhouette, then he would need to model it :)

/EDIT: Or wait for displacement mapping feature in KeyShot ;)

MrTomB

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on August 31, 2017, 01:26:50 AM

This one please  ;D

MikeSJ

Thanks for the suggestions and help! I've manage to get something resembling what I'm looking for thanks to you all! Cheers. :)

NM-92

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on August 31, 2017, 01:26:50 AM
Quote from: NM-92 on August 30, 2017, 11:05:43 AM
Hi Mike.

Hope it helps,

Sure, Nico. Looks good!
It was just if he was hoping to get an actual distorted silhouette, then he would need to model it :)

KS with Displacement support would totally disrupt the market, for sure.