Cloudy with a Chance of Scattering

Started by DriesV, August 28, 2017, 11:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriesV

First of all, my apologies for the clickbait subject of this topic...
However, I brought you here for good reason.

I want this to be a place where we can all post our experiments, tests, renderings, blobs, doodles... using the Cloudy Plastic material, introduced in KeyShot 7.

Allow me to kick this off with a relatively simple scene.
I imported three figure models from GrabCAD (Zac Leung) and put them on a white diffuse plane. The lighting consists of three IES Lights, positioned above the figures. HDRI brightness was set to 0.
For the materials I started off by dragging and dropping from the Library (Plastic > Cloudy > Textured). I then made minor adjustments to Transmission color, Roughness and Bump.
That's about it.

Now let's see what you've got. :)

Dries

mattjgerard

Very cool! Great idea, although most of my use of the cloudy plastic is with LED's buried behind it, being used as a light diffuser in LED lighting fixtures. I'm slowly getting the hang of the settings, I have nothing earth shattering yet. I am still using the advanced and translucent materials for most of the stuff, but can see the benefit of the cloudy plastic. I'm cooking some overnight tonight and will post in the morning.

Cool stuff.

NM-92

Great idea and nice render ! The snail antennas look really cool. 

DriesV

I just realized this image could have more punch by using just a single IES Light and letting the scattering do the work.
I did some color adjustments on this one in Photoshop.
This looks more filmic, I think.

Dries

Speedster

I just did a bunch of silicone tubing on a medical device, which I can't share due to an NDA.  But trust me, it's spot on!  Downright scary, in fact!
Bill G

Esben Oxholm

Shiiit, looks good Dries!
I have posted this on the forum before, but this is what I've done so far using the cloudy plastic. All transparent plastics are different setting of cloudy plastic.

Looking forward to see more!

DriesV

Quote from: Speedster on August 28, 2017, 03:33:14 PM
I just did a bunch of silicone tubing on a medical device, which I can't share due to an NDA.  But trust me, it's spot on!  Downright scary, in fact!
Bill G
Bill, you surely have some spare tubing laying around. ;)

Dries

Speedster

QuoteBill, you surely have some spare tubing laying around.
Here ya go, Dries.  I hid the important parts.
Bill G

DriesV

Slick tube, Bill.

Here is my attempt at a medical shot.
I grabbed an interesting oxygen valve from GrabCAD.
There are three different Cloudy Plastic materials for the housing, buttons (clamps) and tubes.
This time I went with an HDRI for the main lighting. I then used an IES Light for additional highlights and to cast the shadow on the ground.
Minor color adjustments in Photoshop.

Dries

Speedster

There's a serious problem with Cloudy Plastics.  It's WAY too much fun!
Bill G

Magnus Skogsfjord

Woah, lots of goodies here. Love them all! I particularly like the effect on hulks fingers up there. Smashing!

Despot

Agree with Magnus, lots of goodies indeed :)

Here's my contribution, and in line with the 'Superhero' theme, here's another take on the hulk. Pure cloudy plastic

Little bit of film grain in post...

DriesV

Josh3D

Magnus Skogsfjord