network render 7- render order.

Started by PeterSwift, September 07, 2017, 02:59:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterSwift

How do I make the new network render 7 works as the 6th.  I want it to just render everything in order. One by one. Not all at the same time.
And also. The network 7 is also missing the great features from the 6th. For example that you can with easy change if you share cores or not. Now it's very confusing interface and also more permanent settings. Not really made to be flexible. Hope they will fix that in an update.

DMerz III

Version 7 has way more flexibility with Network rendering than 6, and I love the control, but I can see how that control could be a burden for some. Are you sending all of your jobs with the same level priority? If I send 5 jobs at once with 'Medium' Priority, and using the exact same 'pool' for each, it will start with the first job, and then move on to the next job. (Just as it would with Ks6 NR).

You might be confused by the fact that the 'progress' bar starts on each job but it stops after the first task, which is usually 'Transferring the Job'. This isn't actually rendering anything it is just letting you know that the job has been queued and ready for the 'pool' to begin rendering once it is that job's turn.

As for turning on and off cores to the pools, I never mess with that as I've found that to cause errors in the past, we dedicate certain cores on machines to always be available as that has been most successful for us in the past. However, I understand not everyone has the luxury of this. But I can be no help.

Hope this half-way helps,

David Merz

Edit:
Also, in the case that you have more than 1 machine in your pool, you might see how the next job will start rendering before the first is 'complete', this is usually because there is 1 task left and one machine is handling it, so instead of having the other machines sit idle, they begin churning the tasks for the next job. It's really smart if you think about it, and I think it is a huge improvement on speed. But maybe someone behind the program can better explain!?

PeterSwift

But we are a company and have like 4 computers just doing the network rendering, sometimes we use our computers as well if we need it.
We always just send all our jobs sometimes it 20 jobs in que. And then when something is done rendering, we start working on that render, retouching etc. Now we need to manually change the priorty every time we add something and its just a mess.   So we might need to go back to network render 6. But it had so many bugs so would prefer not to.

DMerz III

I guess I'm failing to understand why you have to change the priority for anything? Why not leave it at the default medium priority and let it do its thing? It still renders everything in the exact order you queued it up.

Another tip that might help is to change your preferences. In your Monitor, go to > Preferences and uncheck the box that says "Deault Settings New Jobs'. Now whenever we send a job, it pops up with a prompt asking what settings/pool/priority we want to set the job to. Perhaps the default settings is not what you want. Try it out.

mattjgerard

This is all good info, as I'm just starting to dig into the depth of NR. I did get confused for a while with the progress bar moving just to indicate the transfer of files. After that, its all good.