KSv7 realtime window: images are soft/blurred.

Started by jhiker, August 16, 2017, 06:04:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhiker

But there are no shadows on the ground in the Keyshot 7 scene. I'm surprised you think it looks more realistic.

Some of the GUI improvements in KS7 are fantastic but the basic rendering doesn't seem as good.
Is 'ground illumination' supposed to default to 'ON' in 'product' lighting in KS7?

Is the increased render time due to increased shadow quality and/or increased ray bounces in the 'product' lighting environment in KS7?

Can you suggest any other reasons why it takes longer to render a scene?

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I love Keyshot and I want to see it keep improving.

DriesV

Hi Jeff,

Can you share that KeyShot 6 scene with us?
The difference between KeyShot 6 and 7 seems quite dramatic. I am also wondering why the shadows are that much subdued in KeyShot 7.
Would like to check it out.

Dries

jhiker

Thanks Dries. I think it's something to do with 'ground illumination' defaulting to 'ON' in the KS7 product lighting preset - maybe combined with other changes 'behind the scenes'. I dunno, just guessing - but you're right there's dramatic difference.
I'll send the file tomorrow via 'Wetransfer' - it's a big scene!

Furniture_Guy

Quote from: thomasteger on August 30, 2017, 07:29:22 AM
We identified the issue and have a fix coming shortly.

Do you have a guesstimation on 'Shortly'?

Furniture_Guy

guest84672

Hopefully by next week if all goes well.

If you want to test let me know and I'd be happy to set you up with the current build that we are testing and give out to customers to test to verify the fixes.

Send an e-mail to thomas@luxion.com.

DriesV

Hi Jeff,

After having looked at the scene (thank you for sending it!), I have to agree with Thomas that the rendering with the Product preset in KeyShot 7 is more realistic.
The shadows are in line with what I would expect from the HDRI you are using.

Ground Illumination has been turned ON for the Product preset in KeyShot 7, because it produces more realistic results.
The differences in performance you are seeing between KS6 and KS7 are indeed due to the increased quality settings for the Product preset in KS7.
However, performance should be at least the same when opening an old KS6 scene in KS7. In that case, the exact same Lighting settings will be used.

Dries

DriesV

You can always add a Custom preset with the settings from KeyShot 6 if you prefer those.

Dries

jhiker

Thanks for looking at this - much appreciated.

Furniture_Guy

Quote from: thomasteger on August 30, 2017, 07:29:22 AM
We identified the issue and have a fix coming shortly.

How are we progressing on the fix?

Furniture_Guy

guest84672

It is done, but not released. You can get early access if you want by contacting support@luxion.com.

Furniture_Guy

Quote from: thomasteger on September 12, 2017, 05:43:25 PM
It is done, but not released. You can get early access if you want by contacting support@luxion.com.

Looks like you guys nailed it. Images are sharp and the screen refresh is FAST. Many thanks! I'm officially switching over to 7...

Furniture_Guy

guest84672

Awesome - thanks for the quick reply and confirmation. Official release of 7.1 is any now.

jhiker

Quote from: Furniture_Guy on September 13, 2017, 11:04:35 AM
Quote from: thomasteger on September 12, 2017, 05:43:25 PM

Looks like you guys nailed it. Images are sharp and the screen refresh is FAST. Many thanks! I'm officially switching over to 7...

Furniture_Guy

Hate to be a pooper but I'm still seeing 'soft' images in the realtime window with KS7.
I'm running v7.1.31
My frame rate is about 30fps with the particular scene I'm working on now, could that be anything to do with it?

jhiker

To be fair, it looks better when it's rendered..  :)

Furniture_Guy

I receive only .stp files from my engineering department so I can't speak for other formats but it seems to be a bit soft / blurry after importing but as soon as I give it a material it appears as it should...

Furniture_Guy