KeyShot 7: Autodesk Fusion 360 Plugin (Under the Hood)

Started by cjwidd, September 20, 2017, 04:18:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjwidd

• What is going on under the hood with this plugin?
  • What data format is being passed to Keyshot 7?
  • Is there any technical documentation regarding this plugin?
  • It seems like a number of settings are being automated during export to Keyshot. If so, what are they and can they be changed?

guest84672

The documentation is here: https://luxion.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/KP/pages/38562627/Fusion+360

The plugin reads the tessellated data along with the structure directly from the running session of Fusion.

cjwidd

Quote from: thomasteger on September 20, 2017, 12:03:06 PM
The documentation is here: https://luxion.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/KP/pages/38562627/Fusion+360

The plugin reads the tessellated data along with the structure directly from the running session of Fusion.

Hmm, let me be more specific. Exporting from Fusion 360 as IGES or STEP will allow for the exchange of some data that is not stored in STL formats, e.g. split by parts, materials, etc. During my tests in Keyshot, even at the highest tessellation quality, the test mesh contained artifacts when importing IGES and STEP, but STL imports were largely artifact free, with the exception of some faceting.

However, using the Keyshot 7 Fusion 360 plugin, the test mesh went directly into Keyshot, basically artifact-free, material IDs preserved, and in only a few seconds; exporting STL usually takes quite a while and doesn't retain material ID. I'm curious what is different, and the linked documentation doesn't seem to cover this.

guest84672

The plugin accesses the geometry inside Fusion directly. When you import an IGES or STEP file KeyShot creates the tessellation from the NURBS surfaces.

cjwidd

Quote from: thomasteger on September 20, 2017, 04:11:59 PM
The plugin accesses the geometry inside Fusion directly.

Unless something is going wrong on my end, the plugin does not seem to discriminate between objects that are visible in the browser hierarchy and ones that are not, consequently, the entire scene, including unused parts (etc.) end up in the Keyshot scene. Is this intended behavior?

guest84672

cjwidd

guest84672