Every time I move a label, its rotation resets.

Started by eobet, September 21, 2017, 01:13:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eobet

Any way to avoid this? It's god damn annoying and prolongs my time to place a label by about 10x...  >:(

EDIT: I just noticed that the sliders for x, y and z position tweaking is gone in Keyshot 7 as well! Why this step backwards in usability??

EDIT 2: Oh, no. Those sliders were hidden under a weird double arrow thingy that I've never seen before. Why use a weird icon in that place, and no other place in the entire UI? Right beneath the icon is a collapsible header which clearly reads "Size and Mapping", yet the size and mapping is not there. Poor, inconsistent UI design! :(

DriesV

Hi,

First of all, thank you for the feedback.
I can see your frustration about the angle resetting. I have added an improvement request to be able to lock the Angle of Labels, while positioning them.

'Shift X' and 'Shift Y' have been removed, because you can now much more easily move around Textures and Labels using a Move Tool in the realtime view.
When you click 'Move Texture' for Planar Textures/Labels then by default the Position mode is active, allowing you to click and drag on the model. Notice the Position button in the widget in the realtime view. If you click to deactivate Position mode, then you will get a Move Tool to move the texture/label.
The Move Tool is perhaps (partly) a solution to your original issue, as it will allow you to move the texture without the angle being reset.

The sliders under the "double arrow thingy" update with manipulating the Move Tool, and vice versa. They are mainly used for fine-tuning.
These properties are not included in the 'Size and Mapping' header for good reason. They only control the position and orientation of the center of the texture, not how the texture is sized, flipped, repeated etc. As said before, you can do the exact same manipulations using the Move Tool, so there is no need to always have these sliders exposed.

Btw, the double arrow button was introduced in KeyShot 7 to collapse/expand properties and lists, and where a header isn't an option.
You can find the same button for the Studios list and for the Model Sets sidebar. ;)

I hope that helps.

Dries

mattjgerard

Labels work SO much better in 7 thanks to these tweaks. Seems though I had the opposite problems, in KS6 every time I would click to move a label the rotation would go wonky. Now if I could get them to stick when rendering over the network :) But, i think a NR update is needed on my end.

DriesV

@eobet

We do agree that the usability of Label placement, and how the Texture transform parameters are interacted with, can be improved. We are looking into it.

Dries

tomlai

Clicking on Labels to move them.

Why can't KS have the label be grabbed (within the bounding box) at any point on the texture.

That KS always wants to make the cursor point the CENTRE of the texture bitmap is unlike any other image manipulation software out there.

DriesV

We are not an image manipulation program. :)
You want to make the texture stick to the surface and be aligned with the normals.

Dries

tomlai

This is an old mapping interface issue that makes it cumbersome to place a bitmap offcentre or on an object with a hole at the centre of the bitmap!

There is nothing wrong with hoping and placing the wish out there!
Who knows ... some developer may come up with a unique solution!