Label is visible on back side of transparent material (cylindrical mapping)

Started by Blacktip, September 29, 2017, 12:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blacktip

Hello. Sorry if the solution has been posted earlier, but I couldn't find it. I have a transparent material that has a label attached (yeah, another of those syringe-thingies). The label is rendered on both sides of the transparent material (which I don't want it to), and it the depth-slider for the label is not visible when mapping as a cylinder. If I choose the other mapping-type, the depth setting is there... but then the texture/label looks awfully distorted. Is there a tutorial I can follow in order to get things sorted?

regards,
Markus

guest84672

You may need to separate the inner surface from the rest of the cup, and add a separate material that doesn't contain the label.

Blacktip

RyanID

This is not an acceptable work around. Keyshot needs to fix this. Everytime I realize that I need to seperate surfaces and go back into Solidworks to fix it and update all of my material shaders get mixed up and I am basically starting over.

CarlosFerreira

I'm having the same issue but on gold material. Besides splitting the part in two, is there any other way to keep the cylindrcal mapping from projecting to the back? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Esben Oxholm

With some careful positioning of a cylindrical color gradient in the opacity channel of the label you can hide the backside part of the label. Not optimal, but a different way if doing it.

See here how it works: https://cl.ly/052d3E3S3q1C

Grab the KSP here: https://we.tl/oBHmOEPOJG

CarlosFerreira

Hi Esben

Once again you come to the rescue! You're right, this is not optimal but it does work. Thank you so much for your help. Really appreciate it!

CarlosFerreira

Hi Esben

I'm having major issues trying to create the cylindrical opacity map. How did you figure out the size and location of the gradient? The part that I'm working on is extremely thin and can't seem to line it up. Is it just a matter of trial and error? I've spent almost 45 minutes and cant get it quite right. Any further insight would be appreciated.

Thx
-Carlos

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: CarlosFerreira on December 13, 2017, 07:13:01 AM
I'm having major issues trying to create the cylindrical opacity map. How did you figure out the size and location of the gradient? The part that I'm working on is extremely thin and can't seem to line it up. Is it just a matter of trial and error? I've spent almost 45 minutes and cant get it quite right. Any further insight would be appreciated.
Ha, yeah, that might be a tough one if you have a really thin part.
Do you know the diameter of your part? Then you should be able to type that into the scale slider. Also you have to figure out wether the cylindrical gradient is rotated in the right direction.

Are you able to share the file?

CarlosFerreira

Hi Esben

Think I figured it out but not sure how to streamline this process. I just placed the opacity mask and kept adjusting little by little until I got what I wanted. I'm using inches and working with a ZBrush imported object. I know modeling a part like this is better in CAD but it's way faster for me in ZBrush.

Thanks again for all your help.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t8qibj2xpq9dd0c/Cylindrical_Mapping_Part.ksp?dl=0

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: CarlosFerreira on December 13, 2017, 11:39:34 AM
Think I figured it out but not sure how to streamline this process. I just placed the opacity mask and kept adjusting little by little until I got what I wanted. I'm using inches and working with a ZBrush imported object. I know modeling a part like this is better in CAD but it's way faster for me in ZBrush.

All right, cool.
It's not streamlined but I found a few tricks that might help:

1. I added in a cylinder and adjusted the size and position manually to fit the curve of the part. Wasn't too hard when looking directly from the top using orthographic view

2. Turned on 'halves' image grid and adjusted the view to center the cylinder.

3. Added the color gradient and adjusted the position of the two color pins to 0,5 to create a complete sharp transition.

4. Moved the center of the gradient to the cross section of the halves grid.

5. Adjusted the size of the gradient until the color transition was visible on the part. Had to fine-tune the position of the gradient a bit.

Might not be the best way to do it, but it at least makes it a bit easier by adding in the cylinder and halves-grid as visual guides.

Cheers,

CarlosFerreira

THANK YOU!!

That's a great idea. Does make it a bit easier to get the mask just right.