AMD 1950X Threadripper | Windows 10 64-bit | 16-Core 3.40 GHz | 272 FPS

Started by Esben Oxholm, October 04, 2017, 04:07:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriesV

joseph

If you are going into with Threadripper, Enermax has an AIO with a IHS base plate that matches the area: http://www.enermax.co.uk/cpu-coolers/liqtech-tr4/.  Noctua also have a air cooler with a large plate also: http://noctua.at/en/nh-u14s-tr4-sp3

So it will be down to reliability of pump against fan noise.

menizzi

I just going to post about the air coolers.

http://noctua.at/en/noctua-presents-cpu-coolers-for-amd-s-ryzen-threadripper-x399-and-epyc-platforms

seems like you beat me to it. Not sure how long that pump is going to last. For TR i would go custom loop or air. I do how ever like the aio that is linked above.

DriesV

3D Off the Page

Buy a refurbished HP Z840 dual processor machine with the slowest possible cpu's then buy two E5-2696v4's to replace those cpu's.  Make sure you buy the dual processor machine because you then get the 2nd cpu cooler and all of the necessary fans.

You can stay within your budget and have 88 cores. This will be an amazing KeyShot or any other multi-thread machine.  However single thread programs such as SolidWorks will not run as well at the 2.20GHz.

Our machine with this setup runs at 447 fps in KS.

rfollett

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on October 07, 2017, 04:50:50 AM
Thank you all for your 2 cents!

I've gained some really valuable insights and perspectives that helps me to take a more enlightened choice.

I definitely see the benefit of buying something prefab in the sense that it should be more reliable and if it stops working (within the period of warranty) I have someone else to take care of it.

On the other hand, by building one myself I can get quite some more power for the money vs. the risk of spending a lot of hours troubleshooting if it stops working.

I've decided to take the 'risk' of still building my own setup, but to go with Threadripper 1950x instead of the intel E5's due to the amount of power vs. price. I know it is not good if it breaks down in the middle of a tight deadline, but I dare to rely on the render farms out there to save me, should it happen. It will anyway take at least a day or two to get a prefab replaced and I would have to use a render farm (or someone else's workstation) anyways. Also, for the money I save (compared to the first setup), I plan to build another Threadripper system to work as additional render power (over network rendering) and as a backup workstation.

This is the setup I plan to build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pwP3LD

Again, thank you all for you inputs. Much appreciated!
I'll keep you updated on the build and post benchmark here. Hopefully in 2-3 weeks.

Best,

wise man - not sure you need a 1,000W power supply but hey ho! just seen a friend 1950x running 303 FPS on camera benchmark

Will Gibbons

This is quite the thread... haven't been on the forum recently. You've spec'd out nearly the exact build I've been planning on myself. I figure 32 threads is plenty for local renderings and that anything larger can just be farmed out to a render farm.

The NZXT Kraken cooler is what I heard good things about... whatever you do, go with water cooling. I have that on my current build and it's great and more reliable.

Also, does your MOBO have any M.2 slots? If so, I'd consider trying to 'future-proof' your setup a bit by using a M.2 SSD which mounts directly to the MOBO as your boot/application drive = very fast. Then use your Evo SSD as your primary storage. Lastly, use some USB3 desktop large HDD for full-system backup.

The larger PSU is good incase you ever feel the need to toss another GPU in there for simulating in MODO (assuming that happens on the GPU)

I own a BOXX currently, but their upcharge is too much for me to justify going forward. Also, it'd be expensive to ship out to you... so like you, I'll be building my own system and extending my dollar a bit.

Going with the Threadripper is great for Overclocking too, something you should definitely do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4a89kUVDpc

Good luck! Can't wait to see what you end up with. Making me jealous.

Esben Oxholm

Thanks for all the suggestions above too!
I really appreciate the input. Hope it is okay I'm not answering them one by one :)

Here's what I ended up with: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mdHr4C

Had some trouble with KeyShot crashing, but updating the BIOS to the newest version solved that.
Running at 270-275 FPS in the benchmark scene.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any!

mattjgerard

So you are only halfway to your budget, what's the plan for the other half?

DriesV

It would make sense to build the same machine again. Boom! ;D

Dries

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: mattjgerard on October 23, 2017, 10:19:43 AM
So you are only halfway to your budget, what's the plan for the other half?

First of all I need a better monitor.
Then, a second build as Dries suggests if I feel I need the power :)

designgestalt

while we are about the monitor thing:
I dropped an espresso cup on my Wacom Cintiq 22HD Touch Screen, while it was lying flat on my desktop!
smashed the front glass and as usual it is not included in my office insurance!
2200€ !!
a repair would cost 600-800€ to replace the glass and 6 weeks delivery time !
should have rather bought your machine for this !
but I decided now to cancel all insurances at the end of the year...
they anyway always find a way out !!!

mattjgerard

Quote from: designgestalt on October 23, 2017, 11:26:54 PM
while we are about the monitor thing:
I dropped an espresso cup on my Wacom Cintiq 22HD Touch Screen, while it was lying flat on my desktop!
smashed the front glass and as usual it is not included in my office insurance!
2200€ !!
a repair would cost 600-800€ to replace the glass and 6 weeks delivery time !
should have rather bought your machine for this !
but I decided now to cancel all insurances at the end of the year...
they anyway always find a way out !!!

Dang, that is a bad day at the office! And I thought I felt bad when I spilled my flavored water on my Logitech solar keyboard and it died. Guess I feel a little better now!

I have an old wacom Intuos 3 9x12 that I always tried to get into using. Lots of Cinema 4D guys use them, but I just couldn't be as productive with them as I could with a mouse. I used them to relieve my tendonitis when it flared, but then I realized that was because of the crappy mouse I was using. Not a problem anymore since switching to a decent mouse.