Baby Bottle

Started by DevinSidell, September 28, 2017, 09:34:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DevinSidell

First, let me say thank you to Keyshot for allowing all of us to participate in this contest!

Now onto my first submission:

Model - Baby Bottle (4 piece assembly)

3D Software - Solidworks 2016

Post-Processing  - Photoshop CC 2017

My render object of choice was a plastic baby bottle.  I was inspired to try this out after my daughter was born on 9/11/17.  The bottles we have are the perfect cloudy material I've never been able to render properly before until now.  The PP plastic the container and lid are made from also have a slight blue tint to it visible from certain angles which makes it even tougher to reproduce.  I also chose the bottle because there are layers of both transparent silicone and translucent polypropylene.  This makes for an interesting challenge to see if Keyshot 7 can handle the complex light dispersion, reflection, and refraction on different levels of soft and hard materials.  I made a custom lighting environment in the HDRI editor and found that a nice gradient pin helps with evening out the other light pins.     

I modeled the whole thing in about 2.5 hours but the rendering has got to be the most challenging I've ever done.  The new materials in Keyshot 7 have made getting the basic foundation of the look done but I've had to do a lot of tinkering to get them to look right.  I do like how when you hover your mouse over the sliders and it describes what the tools do.  I'm not an expert in lighting so this update was extremely helpful.

My render settings were set to 16 for Samples and Ray Bounces and 3 for Anti-Aliasing.

I'm also running into some trouble with the environments editor as it keeps freezing on the last setting I had.  When I add more lights it does not update visually on the preview screen or in the model screen until I restart Keyshot.

ChristiaanSidell

Josh3D

Thank YOU Devin. This looks awesome. I can see how all those curves and getting the tint and lighting just right could be challenging. Will investigate the issues you've had.

And congrats on the birth of your little baby girl!!

DevinSidell

Thanks Josh!

I'm going to try to keep working on some other dynamic presentations and such and see about getting this translucent PP material just right.

rembem

Hey that looks like a Philips Avent bottle .....

DevinSidell

Rembem,

Yes, it is!  Good eye.

Speedster

So cool!  I'll bet they would work great with Jack Daniels or Absolut!
Bill G

rembem

Quote from: DevinSidell on October 07, 2017, 06:42:09 AM
Rembem,

Yes, it is!  Good eye.

Haha, I work at Philips and rendered these bottles ........

DevinSidell

Quote from: rembem on October 07, 2017, 03:51:27 PM
Quote from: DevinSidell on October 07, 2017, 06:42:09 AM
Rembem,

Yes, it is!  Good eye.

Haha, I work at Philips and rendered these bottles ........

No way!  Well, I hope I did a good job. :)