Main Menu

Snap to Surface

Started by Speedster, October 05, 2017, 11:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Sure be neat if we could snap an imported part to a surface.  For example: you import a flower vase, and want to snap it to the top of a table.  Kind of like mating in SolidWorks. Snap to Ground is not a solution, and physically moving it up or down is often quite difficult since the widget usually hides the part.

Speaking of which, why can't we simply dock the widget someplace, instead of having it occlude the part or disappear somewhere out in space?

Bill G

mattjgerard

Quote from: Speedster on October 05, 2017, 11:01:54 AM
Speaking of which, why can't we simply dock the widget someplace, instead of having it occlude the part or disappear somewhere out in space?

Bill G

I asked the same thing, or if we could drag the widget out of the live view winder, I usually have a border that I can stack that thing into. But he explained that it was built as part of the move gizmo, and therefore can't be moved outside the live view boundary. It seems to appear exactly where I don't need it. Same with the Edit Geometry options dialog, it always appears right smack dab over the part in the Geo View that I'm trying to work on. Turns me into an angry muppet when I'm fixing loads of normals and splitting faces.

Rex

I think you're looking for the "Snap to Lower Object" command which can be found in the move tool dialog?