Main Menu

Material Manager

Started by mattjgerard, October 11, 2017, 07:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

We could use a revamped way of handling materials used in projects. couple issues I'm having that a well thought out and revamped material manager would help-

1) Saving packaged files- Missing textures that are alerted when trying to save packages, hard to dig through dozens of materials, with dozens of labels, layered bump maps to find that one that is missing. Would be great to have a tool that would direct me to the materials that is missing the texture.
2) Opening archived (packaged) ksp files, poliigon and other image based textures don't link back if the hard coded path to the texture folder has changed. I opened up a KS6 project that I myself packaged 3 months ago, and I had to relink over 300 instances of a single image based texture.
3) Being able to select a material and see what objects have it assigned. Not by selecting all the objects in the scene tree, but just a list.
4) Global replacement of all instances of a texture without having to go through and refresh each one, or replace one by one. I know I can just rename the new texture the same as the one I want to replace, but this messes up my versioning for clients.
5) Ability to group textures in the texture manager (by part, by use, user made folders, etc)
6) Label manager- manage label materials, segregate "label" materials and make them easier to swap out for different renditions of products.
7) Create materials and hold materials in the project that aren't being used on a part.

IF there are solutions for this sort of thing already that I'm missing, let me know, but I'm struggling with managing materials in my projects.

I just want to say, though, as whenever I post something on the wish list it feels like I'm just bitching about stuff- This app is amazing, and has grown leaps and bounds since I first started playing with it in KS5. The responsiveness and the willingness to work directly with users on this forum to isolate and fix bugs and issues continues to amaze me, and sets the standard that I expect out of other software companies. Y'all are freaking magicians, code wrangling pretty picture making magicians, I tell you.

DriesV

Hi Matt,

This kind of slipped for KeyShot 7.
More comprehensive asset (not just materials) management is certainly on our radar.

Dries