Keyshot 7 Render Competition - Nail Polish

Started by JonWelch, October 11, 2017, 11:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonWelch

This is my first submission for the Keyshot 7 contest. Once I installed KS7, I loved the new metallic paint and cloudy plastic. This uses a mixture of the two, but really the metallic paint is what's focused on. The cloudy plastic is mixed in with the metallic paint on the insides of the bottles, you can see some areas where the metallic paint fades in and out, simulating the inconsistency of the nail polish on the walls inside the bottle. I think it's most evident in the neck/tube of the orange bottle. But back to the metallic paint, I wanted to really show it off, and after watching my fiance try dozens of nail polish, I thought it would be fun to exaggerate what our bathroom feels like....nail polish leaking everywhere!

I modeled the bottle off of the Essie brand nail polish using Solidworks 2017. Surfacing to make the nail polish appear to pour out was not particularly easy, but I think it worked out alright.

I've attached the stock render as well, which isn't much different, but I added a little extra metallic flake in Photoshop with some very minor lighting adjustments as well.

Good luck to everyone.

mattjgerard

Holy mother of gosh, I love those colors! That paint material would be a welcome addition to the keyshot cloud hint hint :)

guest87362

So beautiful! it must took you forever to render

rembem

ieatfish

Awesome! How did you get the flake to appear so large? Mine looks good in the real-time window at first but really evens itself out while I wait for other materials to resolve.

NM-92

Nice ! I like the subtle texture on the red bottle plastic.

DriesV

Very nice, Jon!
Slightly insane though that you modeled the liquid in SOLIDWORKS. :) But it does look great.

Dries

Eric Summers

Wow! Those colors are awesome! That is very impressive that you modeled all of it in SolidWorks.

Josh3D

You sir, have grit. Haha! That you surfaced that in SolidWorks... my goodness man

This looks stunning Jon. Well done.

designgestalt

really awesome ...
chapeau ...

designgestalt

JonWelch

Quote from: mattjgerard on October 11, 2017, 12:10:19 PM
Holy mother of gosh, I love those colors! That paint material would be a welcome addition to the keyshot cloud hint hint :)
I will definitely have to get it in there before the competition is over!

Quote from: ieatfish on October 11, 2017, 02:53:34 PM
Awesome! How did you get the flake to appear so large? Mine looks good in the real-time window at first but really evens itself out while I wait for other materials to resolve.

I'm not sure how dependent the Metal Flake Size is in reference to the model scale, but I'm sure you can always crank it up. I can tell you for this, the metal flake size is at a 2 and the metal flake visibility is at 1. Hope I could help.

Quote from: esummers on October 12, 2017, 07:01:35 AM
Wow! Those colors are awesome! That is very impressive that you modeled all of it in SolidWorks.
Quote from: DriesV on October 12, 2017, 12:34:12 AM
Very nice, Jon!
Slightly insane though that you modeled the liquid in SOLIDWORKS. :) But it does look great.

Dries
Quote from: Josh Mings on October 12, 2017, 08:13:30 AM
You sir, have grit. Haha! That you surfaced that in SolidWorks... my goodness man

This looks stunning Jon. Well done.

Thanks guys, it definitely was a 'lofty' endeavor...if you catch my drift! I think it could be better, but SW is what I'm most comfortable with.

Will Gibbons

I'm with Dries on this one... SW? lol. Fantastic job, man.