Artifacts on transparent materials

Started by Georg Malm, May 22, 2011, 09:08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Georg Malm

Hi!
Do somebody know how to avoid those strange artifacts on transparent materials when they overlaps other transparent or opaque materials?

justindustrial

What you're seeing here is coincident surfaces, basically surfaces that occupy the same space. This creates 'triangles' throughout your rendering. Since two surfaces cannot physically occupy the same space, the best way to fix this problem is to create a gap between your parts. I personally use 0.5mm which is pretty generous, and leaves a bit of a shadow gap. If you want 0 visible gap, try overlapping the parts slightly so they actually intersect in your model. This might create problems on your 'A' surfaces where you'll have a strip of coincident material so you might have to create an offset here. Sorry for the wordy description but I hope that helps. If you look back through the forum there may be some images on how to resolve this issue.

Speedster

Yep, you absolutely have to have a tiny gap between one or two transparent surfaces.  Also, as Jeff showed us on the webinar, set your gamma on the Realtime Tab to 2.2!  This is really the trick, but you may have to notch back to like 1.8 or so.  I just rendered a vacuum formed packaging tray for a medical device, also with many transparent components. It has three transparent parts (tray, insert and cover), and it would have been impossible without the 2.2 gamma setting. Plus, I kicked ray bounces to 16.  Of course to have to adjust some other stuff to compensate, but that's no biggie.  I can't show the tray at this time, but I'll try to pull a small area that I can share.
Bill G

guest84672

in realtime, make sure to check detailed indirect illumination in the realtime tab.

stdam

PhilippeV8

Been there, done that ;)

Keep 0.1 or 0.05mm between all parts .. for sure if one is supposed to be glass or something transparent is the trick for this one indeed.