Fly playing GameBoy - Keyshot Render Contest 2017 Entry

Started by alexanderkaula, October 21, 2017, 03:34:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexanderkaula

Hey everyone,

so this is my first post in the keyshot forum and my entry for the render competition 2017.   :)

Models and Textures
GameBoy: https://grabcad.com/library/retro-nintendo-gameboy-1
Fly: http://zerokobo.web.fc2.com/
Textures are selfmade or via Poliigon.com.

Workflow
The Models were opened in Rhino 3d and were processed for rendering. (Some were SolidWorks models - so they were opened there and exported)
Sometimes the models aren't that nice so some work needs to be done. In this case, the GameBoy needed internal parts, so i modeled those. Some textures had to be made in Photoshop as well.
The Fly was imported into Blender where i made some modifications to the grouping of the Parts.
Afterwards all models were imported into Keyshot where i started the composion.

Lighting and camera
The lighting is based on an HDRi i build. To get some more fine control, i used a primitive as a light source as well.
Because of my photography background i like to render my images quite flat. Somewhat like a raw image. That's just the way my workflow works the best for me. Which is quite obvious in the before and after comparison.
The camera was set to 80mm since i wanted to represent a macro shot as best as possible. Lots of macro lenses use 80mm.

Keyshot 7 Material
My focus was the cloudy plastic material, since i think its just awesome. The material graph got quite huge because of all the labels i added and some imperfections like dust, scratches etc.
I really liked to dig into details with the fly. The material graph was super usefull here. I used cloudy plastic for the legs with some adjustments to get some nice light reflections as well. For the body and the eyes i used an anodized metal material. In the material graph i blended two different anodized metals to get a more diverse color reflections for the body. To get even more control i used the curvature node to get the deep crevasses of the body a darker tone. A diffuse with a dark color worked great in this small scale.

Rendering
Rendered at 1080p @ 700 Samples
PSD 32bit all Render-passes.

Post processing
I really love the new render passes! The post processing was done in Photoshop as well as Lightroom. I made a near finished editing in photoshop and then imported the 16bit file into Lightroom, where i used my beloved VSCO Kodak Portra 800 Analogue Film Adjustment and did some color tweaking etc.

It was really fun working with the new materials. Even though i only had a couple of days time.

Good luck to everyone!  :)

DriesV

I totally love the complete silliness of this concept.
Sorry that I called your image silly...

Great execution.

Dries

alexanderkaula

Quote from: DriesV on October 21, 2017, 04:31:22 AM
I totally love the complete silliness of this concept.
Sorry that I called your image silly...

Great execution.

Dries

Thanks Dries! To us it might look silly - but flies do see in slo-motion - it would be possible for the fly to game as quick as we humans do.  ;D

NM-92

Josh3D

Esben Oxholm

That came out really nice, Alex!
Love how you positioned the fly to add some story to the shot :D

Great job on the materials!

leo de brito

I like the concept, composition and materials! Nice!

Hossein Alfideh

Magnus Skogsfjord

Sheesh that cloudy plastic looks so nice! Great job!

Pouya Hosseinzadeh

Nexus

Will Gibbons