KSP Compression Rate

Started by DMerz III, September 25, 2017, 08:34:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMerz III

:o So, I might be crazy... but what I'm witnessing on my team is quite astounding and I'm not sure how to explain it.

We've noticed our KSPs (Keyshot Package files) are quite small in terms of size on the drive by a lot. It has made us initially believe that the file did not package correctly (like dropping textures, etc.)

However, when we transfer that file onto another machine and unpack it, the enormous size of that folder shows that indeed, everything was inside.

I'm talking #s such as 4.0GB of info being compressed somehow into a KSP that is less than 100MB. I'm not sure how this is possible, did you guys hire Pied Piper before the KS7 release? Are we missing something?

Seems like a big selling point that I haven't noticed advertised.

If it's not too good to be true, kudos Luxion!

Robb63

Love the Pied Piper reference!!

INNEO_MWo

You can look into a via 7zip for example.

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: DMerz III on September 25, 2017, 08:34:19 AM
I'm talking #s such as 4.0GB of info being compressed somehow into a KSP that is less than 100MB. I'm not sure how this is possible, did you guys hire Pied Piper before the KS7 release?

Ha, good one.
Haven't payed too much attention to the file size before/after compressing it. Will do from now.
4gb to 100mb sounds impressive!

DMerz III

I know right! I've done some more testing, and it seems to depend a lot on what is being compressed. A KSP w/ lots of mapping (such as opacity maps) seems to compress A LOT. Something with lots of geometry making up the bulk of the size, doesn't have such a drastic compression rate, but it is still impressive.

Test A (Geometry Heavy): KSP size; 460MB --> Unpacked; 1.3GB
Test B (Light geometry, but several large maps, mostly opacity maps); KSP size: 46MB --> Unpacked 7.75GB!!!

Obviously project B was what caught our attention. Kudos Luxion, you're saving us server space! (And time transferring files between our team members)

mattjgerard

I wonder if its using references to the standard library materials and image maps instead of actually including them?

DMerz III

:) all of these maps are custom, I made them myself, and they're huge .PNG files, which, when unpacked, are contained in the project folder, so they are definitely being included in the compression. They're not from KS's library. And if you thought, well maybe when you unpack them, they are pulling from the original location on your machine...nope, we've unpacked it on a completely different machine that has no access to the original file locations.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: DMerz III on September 26, 2017, 11:38:34 AM
:) all of these maps are custom, I made them myself, and they're huge .PNG files, which, when unpacked, are contained in the project folder, so they are definitely being included in the compression. They're not from KS's library. And if you thought, well maybe when you unpack them, they are pulling from the original location on your machine...nope, we've unpacked it on a completely different machine that has no access to the original file locations.

Let's not forget environments... procedural environments (in KS7) take up hardly any space at all. :) I always use KSPs for standard archiving and saving of KeyShot files. Saves drive space for sure.