Link Material except for Texture/Bump Mapping

Started by kstaach, November 01, 2017, 03:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kstaach

Hello,

I'm a furniture designer doing a lot of woodwork and am experiencing a workflow issue around wood materials. My issue is that the wood grain needs to run in different directions on different parts of the same model. I'd like to be able to retain the ability to adjust color/ring size/noice/etc in a linked way, but move the mapping independently. Is there a way to do this?

Thank you!

*new to the forums - couldn't find this topic, so apologies if it's been addressed.

INNEO_MWo

I could work if you work with labels. I should run a test. Wish version do you use?

Cheers
Marco

mattjgerard

You should be able to set the mapping per object, but keep the materials linked? That's a good question.

Procedural wood = Nope. Doesn't have mapping options for the textures.

Textural wood- Nope. All attributes are linked.

Doesn't look like there is an easy way to do this.

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: mattjgerard on November 02, 2017, 09:41:35 AM
You should be able to set the mapping per object, but keep the materials linked? That's a good question.

Procedural wood = Nope. Doesn't have mapping options for the textures.

Textural wood- Nope. All attributes are linked.

Doesn't look like there is an easy way to do this.

Matt's right. I tried to use a dummy cube with a wood material from the library and attached it as a label material to the different bodies. But it doesn't sync the changes. So I can easily change the label material from the scene material list to the material graph of each part via drag'n'drop (every time if the wood material is changed).

In the attached example you'll notice the different materials of the cube and the cylinder with different bump textures.

Hope that helps a bit?!

Cheers
Marco

kstaach

Thanks, guys. I'm using Keyshot 7.1.51.

Maybe mapping was the wrong word? I tried the label idea with no success as well. I've included a screenshot to reference as I try and re-describe what I'd like to achieve since my Keyshot syntax may not be up to date. I think you guys get what I'm driving at though.

I'd like to be able to "Move Texture" independently for each part (outlined in green). This seems to remain linked whether its applied as a label or a texture. That way the rectangular part can have the grain direction indicated by the yellow arrow, and the cylinder can have the grain direction indicated by the blue arrow.

Meanwhile I'd like to retain the link between the information outlined in pink. This use case is desired for several reasons. One of which, for example, our wood supplier may send us some Ash that has more knots, or a tighter grain and I'd like to reflect that in my renderings. I'd like to tweak this minutiae across all parts without having to move each texture. It would be nice to toggle between multi-materials with 1 click for a whole stool model, instead of part by part by part. As you can see in the clown pass, this gets old pretty fast  :D

I'm getting the sense that Matt is right and there's no easy way to do this. I can't imagine I'm the only furniture designer to run into this problem though.

Will Gibbons

Start by applying the texture/material to your geometry. Then use geometry editor to split each face/surface you wish to independently move. Then, do so. Not ideal, but should work just fine. Just be sure to uncheck the 'sync' box at the bottom of the texture properties.