Polished Finish

Started by Adam_04, November 08, 2017, 01:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam_04

Hi,

I am relatively new to keyshot and was wondering if anyone can help me.

I have started creating my own materials but I mainly used polished metal materials and was wondering if anyone can help me with making them look more realistic. What I have noticed is that when using a polished material on keyshot its always a perfect mirror finish but in real life it almost never looks like this. There is usually 'waves' in the polishing from it being polished on a mop and there for 9 times out of 10 a perfect mirror finish is not achievable.

I have attached an image from Google of the type of 'waved' polishing I mean. Obviously, I'm not looking for something as drastic as this and also still want a clean polish, but just a hint of wave to the polish so it doesn't look like a flat mirror.

So far I have tried using the curvature tool which works well on heavily stepped objects but other than this if I use curvature too much it ruins the corners.

If anyone could help or point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance

Adam

DriesV

Hi Adam,

I would try to use a large (relative to your model) Noise texture as Bump, with a fairly low Bump Height.
You can get some interesting imperfections if you also add a Roughness texture.

Attached is an example scene (KeyShot 7) and rendering.

Dries

Adam_04

Hi Dries,

Thanks for this! Ill give it ago and will let you know if I run into any problems

Thanks

Adam