Nature of material animation

Started by Amp3D, November 13, 2017, 07:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amp3D

Hello,

I'm a Keyshot user since several month now, amazing software!
I'm using it for product documentation animation.
I have looked up everywhere, but can't find the information, so I'll ask it here, if someone can help me...

I would like to know if there is a way to change the material of a part, but not changing it in color or light, but change its nature.

Example:
At the begining of the animation, a part in the assembly is in metal (nevermind which one), and at a certain point,
it would become ice (so transparent), but I DON'T want to use the fading function, I really want the part to go from metal, to ice.

Anyone has ever done something like this?

Thanks in advance for your help

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: Amp3D on November 13, 2017, 07:30:50 AM

Example:
At the begining of the animation, a part in the assembly is in metal (nevermind which one), and at a certain point,
it would become ice (so transparent), but I DON'T want to use the fading function, I really want the part to go from metal, to ice.

Anyone has ever done something like this?

Thanks in advance for your help

I don't exactly understood what do you mean with "change its nature". Every material parameter as well all types of procedural textures are well explained in the manual.

I attached an example of your requested metal to ice animation. In the end it can be solved with a metal as a label and an animation in the opacity channel (without blend option).
The ice material is a quick and dirty solution with a refractive glass material.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Marco

mattjgerard

The other option is to create 2 animations, one with metal, other with ice and use AfterEffects or something similar to composite and change between them in post.

Amp3D

Thanks for your help.
What I ment is that I want to define a part material looking like metal, and during the animation, instead of just fading it, transform it as ice to be able to see through it.

Thanks for the attached file, but I'm in 6.3 Version, I'll try to update (don't understand why I'm not in 7 since i'm paying for the updates  >:( )

mattjgerard

By "transforming" and explicitly saying you don't want some sort of fade, what exactly are you trying to achieve? Do you have an example of the effect you are looking to create? anything more complicated than a fade will most likely have to be done in some post software. If you render 2 animations, one with metal, one with ice, then composite the 2 in say After Effects the options are limitless in terms of "transforming" between the 2.

Amp3D

Ok, so it does not seem possible  :-[

I want to start up with parts in metal, and to temporarily show what's behind,
transform the metal material in ice (same part, going to transprency with refraction).

The aim is instead of having a simple fading affect, is having a metal material switching to transparent material (ice), and then switch back to metal.

My Animation creation process has to stay "simple", so Keyshot only, I'll try to come up with something else as neat as this idea  :).

INNEO_MWo

Oh yes. It is possible. Just work with a color fade.

The setup for this example scene is similar to the KeyShot 7 file (plus a camera movement).
The cube has a glass material applied and coated with a metal material as a label.
The opacity from the metal label is driven by a color fade.
The fade keeps black (solid) from 0 sec to 1 sec. Then fade to white (transparent) from 1.00 to 1.01 sec and switch this back from 3.00 to 3.01.
The solution can be changed with every material you like.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Marco

https://youtu.be/S44N3X1FMCk

DriesV

The method proposed by Marco is valid.
Here is another example using the same approach.

Dries

DriesV

And a quick rendered animation...

Dries