Main Menu

Planet Express Ship

Started by Benny L, November 14, 2017, 08:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benny L

Good news, everyone!  A special delivery today!

I suddenly felt like rendering the Planet Express ship but the tricky part was deciding render direction.  Whether I should render it realistically like a ship, or just treat it like a product due to its cartoonish shape.

Finally decided to render it like a real space ship after looking through some old 80s spaceship posters and Nasa space photographs back in the days. It's mostly anodized and other metals with a few small cloudy parts.

It's quite the fun render exercise but feel free to critique and feedback!
Note: I also got a Moon model I've been debating whether I should include and the placement (See 3rd shot), anyone has thoughts on that?

Eric Summers

It looks like this was fun on a bun to render!  ;D

You did a really good job making it look realistic without taking anything away from the feel of the original ship. The materials look nice. The only comment I would make is that I think the burners would look even better with a bit of a blue glow to them.

I thought about rendering the Planet Express Ship for the render competition, but never had time so it's nice to see someone else render it! These are really awesome renders Benny!  :)

Benny L

Quote from: Eric Summers on November 14, 2017, 11:18:02 AM
It looks like this was fun on a bun to render!  ;D

You did a really good job making it look realistic without taking anything away from the feel of the original ship. The materials look nice. The only comment I would make is that I think the burners would look even better with a bit of a blue glow to them.

I thought about rendering the Planet Express Ship for the render competition, but never had time so it's nice to see someone else render it! These are really awesome renders Benny!  :)

Thanks Eric, just got this render itch I gotta scratch so definitely was a fun one.  And I agree, I actually did go back to add some glow so reposting them here :)   (Also took out the moon on the front view shot because it just seems off to me.

Eric Summers

Quote from: Benny Lee on November 14, 2017, 01:27:13 PM
Thanks Eric, just got this render itch I gotta scratch so definitely was a fun one.  And I agree, I actually did go back to add some glow so reposting them here :)   (Also took out the moon on the front view shot because it just seems off to me.

Oooh, that glow looks nice! Yeah, I can't quite put my finger on what it is about that moon either, but they still look great without it.

I think I'll have to dig up the Bender I modeled and render it when I get a chance!

Esben Oxholm

Hi Benny.
Cool project!

I think that you can improve the look by adjusting the lighting to something with more contrast and sharper transitions between shadow and lit areas.

I think that 03.40 in this beautiful piece could be a good reference: https://vimeo.com/198811503

Cheers,

Will Gibbons

Esben's got a good point. I did some renderings of a rover on a moon and the first thing I noticed in my research of lighting in space is that you should have a very bright direct light source (either the sun or moon) and not much other ambient light. I think your ship is a bit too evenly-lit. I'd turn off the HDRI and use a couple physical lights only.

Cool starting point!

Benny L

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on November 16, 2017, 11:58:02 AM
Hi Benny.
Cool project!
I think that you can improve the look by adjusting the lighting to something with more contrast and sharper transitions between shadow and lit areas.
I think that 03.40 in this beautiful piece could be a good reference:
Thanks Esben, great reference and totally gave me an idea so I did one with some astroids to see if I could give it some 'depth' , also reduced the lighting to just one light with no falloff for contrast.  Ash's work is awesome too

Quote from: Will Gibbons on November 17, 2017, 02:00:37 PM
Esben's got a good point. I did some renderings of a rover on a moon and the first thing I noticed in my research of lighting in space is that you should have a very bright direct light source (either the sun or moon) and not much other ambient light. I think your ship is a bit too evenly-lit. I'd turn off the HDRI and use a couple physical lights only.
Cool starting point!
Yea I definitely noticed something is off but can't really pin point it. I've already reduced to just three lights initially so I've gone ahead and do it with just one light with no falloff.

This is what I like about this forum; talented people sharing unbiased and constructive feedback; definitely makes me willing me to share more :)

Will Gibbons

Nice work, Benny! I find that being pushed to make another version of an image usually leads to some personal gain. I like it.