Tips for best render of sea water

Started by brejcha.viktor, October 24, 2017, 12:46:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brejcha.viktor

Hi my Keyshot friends,
do you have any tips how to make best/most realistic sea water? My water still looks to "plastic".

Thank you for any tips or textures!

Viktor

INNEO_MWo

Maybe it would help if you share your existing results? So we can help to find the right solution?!

mattjgerard

Lighting.

Lighting.

aaaaannnndd then lighting.

That's the one area that I am trying to focus on. It took me a while to understand why, with all the preset materials that were physically accurate, complicated, and tweaked to perfection as to why my scenes weren't looking as good as the stuff I was seeing coming from others. So, I dived into materials and got a solid grasp on those, but now I know that honestly, its more lighting than materials. You should be able to have a simple diffuse material look really good, but to do that you need to know what you are trying to do with the lighting. Will gave me the task of picking a model, texture it with a flat diffuse texture, and then light it 5 different ways with custom made HDRI's to give it 5 totally different looks.

That is where I am working on now, and that is where I see a lot of effort going into these awesome realistic scenes is in the lighting.

INNEO_MWo

Matt's right. You'll see many differences if you use an environment with sun & sky or a HDRI with sunset colors or clouds or a simple gradient from white to light blue.