Main Menu

Chillin'

Started by imikej, November 15, 2017, 07:10:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imikej

Since our RayBan cliff diver was such a big hit ...I thought I'd post another animation where we messed with vid  on geometry.  These mess-arounds are referred to as "Mike's Mess" in the studio....  Not for the faint of heart as it took 43 hours to render on our 96-cores with enough frames to get a proper loop to work.  Paying work can just get in line (and wait)!  The current state of video playback on geometry is impressive.  There is some odd artifacting around the edges of the frame that seems to be from KS not knowing how to interpret what is being reflected off the "glass."  But, I don't think that would be a very big issue if we found a commercial use for this with a client.  We also thought it was fun and a brain teaser (small brains here) to mix cloudy plastic with less transparent materials.  All in the name of art!  Onward!

https://vimeo.com/242932521

Esben Oxholm

Hi Mike.
Looks cool!

Quote from: imikej on November 15, 2017, 07:10:17 AM
Not for the faint of heart as it took 43 hours to render on our 96-cores with enough frames to get a proper loop to work. 

I see that the cloudy plastic part is completely static. No reflections interacting with it or anything. Did you render out just a single frame for that and masked it in using i.e. AE? If not, I'm pretty sure you could save your self a tremendous amount of rendering time by doing so :)

mattjgerard

Yeah, the prospect certainly has merit, coming from a compositors standpoint spending days doing screen replacements this is fun stuff.  Right now, there doesn't appear to be any reflections, high lights or glares over the video, and that would certainly help with the realism of having the images inside the lenses.

Esben's question is a valid one, a skilled artist could recreate this in AE quite easily, but for the study of how to do this in keyshot is pretty cool, just in and of itself.

Doing stuff the easy way certainly isn't always the fun way :)

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: mattjgerard on November 15, 2017, 11:15:48 AM
Esben's question is a valid one, a skilled artist could recreate this in AE quite easily, but for the study of how to do this in keyshot is pretty cool, just in and of itself.

Sure. I would still use KeyShot for rendering out the floating lady to make sure perspective and everything would be spot on. I'm just thinking that rendering out the cloudy plastic (which I suspect is the render time thief here) just for one frame and the rest in full length would save some time :)

mattjgerard

Absolutely agree. I am getting more and more into thinking of all these different tools as rendering out what I would need to composite later in the quickest most efficient way.

Glasses still render from Keyshot
lens video projection from keyshot
comp work in AE adding lens glare, and some fresnel fade at the sharp angles of the lenses. Even adding moving blurry reflections around the edges of the inner rim of the frames near the lenses can be done quite quickly in AE.

certainly all this could be done in Keyshot, but we see what the render times are. Doesn't mean it not worth trying, for concept and execution.  Very neat what people are figuring out how to do all within KS.

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on November 15, 2017, 11:34:48 AM
Quote from: mattjgerard on November 15, 2017, 11:15:48 AM

Sure. I would still use KeyShot for rendering out the floating lady to make sure perspective and everything would be spot on. I'm just thinking that rendering out the cloudy plastic (which I suspect is the render time thief here) just for one frame and the rest in full length would save some time :)

imikej

Since we charge by the minute....

No really Esben is absolutely right about this from a production standpoint.  However!  Two things.  One, you don't then get to see how the video interacts with the CP (which may or may not be good).  Two, you would not get the reflection of the video on the GP.  This was just a test to see how and how long and so forth.  One interesting thing about glare and opacity on the lens.  The more you work to make it more realistic, the quicker these things become distracting and make it look like the quality of the video is poor.  But, to create something more real, you'd have to have some glare or something.  All great points.  Appreciate the thinking and the dialog.  Great stuff!

mattjgerard

You are totally right on most of that. I've gotten so deep into screen replacements on phones/tablets/laptops that I would spend waaaaaay more time than needed to get a realistic glare and color look that makes it look natural and real, and this is by comparing to actual photos, and real world looks in my edit suite. Only to have the client tell me, nope, make it bright, take that galre down 80%, its blocking the content and looks washed out.

man, talk about taking the wind out of one's sails.

Realistic doesn't always mean good, I guess.

The perspective and warp on the video is spot on. Its the vibrance and lack of some sort of sheen that gets me. I watched it again, trying to see if the look could be comp'd in AE, and I'd say it could be, but I can see your point about knowing if the interaction of the plastic would be correct or not. Also, I didn't notice the movement in the floor reflections before either. There's not a ton of movement in the shot, but I can see if moving ,and yeah, that would be hard to match in AE perfectly.

imikej

Great dialog!  We have one more in the works.  A white water kayak which is got a lot of action.  We're waiting to finish some paying work on the render farm before we kick off the Kayak'r.  So, this would be a good time to throw some glare around and see if it sticks.  Will give it a shot.

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: mattjgerard on November 15, 2017, 11:56:03 AM
Doesn't mean it not worth trying, for concept and execution.  Very neat what people are figuring out how to do all within KS.
Yup, agreed! I appreciate the experimenting too :)

Quote from: imikej on November 15, 2017, 12:40:29 PM
Since we charge by the minute....
Lol, I should start doing that as well ;)