Diffuse material not displaying as anticipated

Started by rotoRob, November 29, 2017, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rotoRob

Okay, I'm relatively new to KeyShot so hopefully this question is not completely ridiculous, but I'm having issues with diffuse (and flat) materials displaying the intended color.  Attached are a couple of screenshots of the issue.

I enter the RGB values of the color (which display correctly in the "diffuse" or "color" thumbnail), but the color is not accurately represented in the material preview and appear much lighter than the desired hue.  The "lighter" color in the material preview is also what is rendered in the scene.

I am porting over geometry from SketchUp (Version 17.2.2555 64-bit) using the Keyshot Exporter Plugin (6.3.11) into Keyshot (6.3.23).  This anomaly only occurs when bringing in textures with RGB color information created natively in SketchUp.  Materials with texture maps (even if only a solid color) preview and display as would be expected.

I know I could get around the problem if I simply assigned new Keyshot materials, but I'm looking to avoid remaking a ton of materials already specified in the modelling program.  What am I overlooking?

Will Gibbons

The thumbnail is a result of the lighting in your scene.

You can find the in-scene material list and right-click on a material and choose 'render thumbnail' to re-render if you've changed your lighting. However, the diffuse or albedo color of an object is never the actual color we see in real life because your light within your scene will always affect the appearance of the object. So, in short, don't focus on the thumbnail, but the color of the part in the real-time view (big render area in middle of KS UI)

ieatfish

Quote from: Will Gibbons on November 30, 2017, 08:18:21 AM
The thumbnail is a result of the lighting in your scene.

You can find the in-scene material list and right-click on a material and choose 'render thumbnail' to re-render if you've changed your lighting. However, the diffuse or albedo color of an object is never the actual color we see in real life because your light within your scene will always affect the appearance of the object. So, in short, don't focus on the thumbnail, but the color of the part in the real-time view (big render area in middle of KS UI)

How does this work with Pantone or other 'known' colors? Is there an environment that is 'neutral'?

Will Gibbons

Most of the studio environments should have white pins (no colors) in the light source or backgrounds. I tend to use those.