Plastic material

Started by jackynikola, November 30, 2017, 09:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackynikola

Guys, I have a problem recreating this material. I tried with different plastics but it just doesn't look like this one.

jackynikola

So basically this packaging needs to have material above. I tried with metallic. But didn't have too much success. it is a bit better than plastic but still not the same thing.

Esben Oxholm

I would give the metallic paint with some roughness a try.

You should also consider your lighting carefully to make the material appear in the way you want it to.

jackynikola

Thank you so much, Esben. For all tutorials.

I tried but still... Not so good. Maybe it is model ......

mattjgerard

Its getting there, its certainly better than your first try.

There are some heavier variations in the bag in the reference image that is giving rise to the speculars that make it look very metallic. Your model doesn't seem to have as much of that modeled into the geometry. But Esben is right, there is more to be said about proper lighting than it seems. Having the right material is key, but without the proper light casting on it, it won't get you where you want to be.

As suggested to me before by people smarter than I, start with a plain HDRI and add your highlights and pins as you need them. It takes a lot of playing around to figure out how it all works together, and I'm still on the low end of the learning curve when using the HDRI editor, but usually if I play with it enough I can get the highlights where I need them. Its a cat and mouse game playing with the lighting, then messing with the materials, then back to lighting, back and forth. That's how I work, and there is probably a better way for it, but I also learn about what material settings make the changes I'm looking for, and how the pins affect the reflections and so on.

jackynikola

Thank you for help. Definitely light needs to be put manually. that's what I was done.

I am still in a testing phase of Keyshot. I was using Arnold, quixel and marmoset to render out my products. But It was taking so much time to set up UV-s, materials....... Keshot is a lot faster and easier. But Still not better quality then Arnold or V-ray and in some cases marmoset. 

mattjgerard

It can totally be done in Keyshot, its just a different learning curve and techniques. If you can upload the scene maybe someone else can try to give it a go, and there are a lot of tutorials on Luxions' youtube channel that will be of use as well. I moved from Octane to Keyshot, and I can get the similar look in a tenth of the time in KS. Which leaves me more time to make it look even better!

jackynikola

Yea. Sure. I can share scene files. Would be cool to see how pros do it.