Main Menu

Invert Visibility

Started by ieatfish, November 30, 2017, 03:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ieatfish

In the right click menu in the view port, an option to Invert Visibility of parts. So all parts that are visible become hidden and all hidden objects become visible. Similar to Ctrl+Shift+B command in NX.

Sometimes it is easier to hide a few parts and then invert visibility rather than trying to hide a large number of parts. Or when I want to work on a few objects, then swap to work on a few others.

Thanks!

DriesV

What would be the advantage over the 'Show Only' command we currently have for any selection of parts?

Dries

mattjgerard

It is just another option that makes it more flexible for the user who is used to a different way of working. Does show only work with multiple items selected? Theres a lot of stuff that is awkward to me because I grew up in the Cinema4D world, and I'm used to and like the way that its user interface works. But that doesn't mean KS is wrong in the way it works, its just different. Luxion has addressed this greatly in KS7 with assignable keyboard shortcuts and the like, allowing customizing the interface and such. Its such a huge leap forward in user friendlyness.

But, I will admit that if I could, I'd request an embedded version of KS in C4D. sort of like how realflow and other renderers have live pulgins that work within the 3D apps. but that's a far reach I'm guessing, so I haven't even bothered with the request :)

ieatfish

Quote from: DriesV on December 01, 2017, 07:31:03 AM
What would be the advantage over the 'Show Only' command we currently have for any selection of parts?

Dries

That works for the first time but once I've gone through and isolated a group of objects there isn't currently a way to see the other grouping without showing everything and doing it again.

fario

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: ieatfish on December 01, 2017, 09:23:24 AM

Dries

That works for the first time but once I've gone through and isolated a group of objects there isn't currently a way to see the other grouping without showing everything and doing it again.

You'll notice a spinning object in the tooltip of every part in the scene tree. Just select the needed parts (visible or not) and use the "see only" command. That's all!

ieatfish

Quote from: MWo on December 05, 2017, 03:59:08 AM
Quote from: ieatfish on December 01, 2017, 09:23:24 AM

Dries

You'll notice a spinning object in the tooltip of every part in the scene tree. Just select the needed parts (visible or not) and use the "see only" command. That's all!

While I find that new feature very useful when selecting unique or recognizable parts it doesn't help when there are hundreds of the same screw in a scene or lots of small electrical components. I often work in relatively complex assemblies.

Another use case is I will hide all but the main components and then, after having applied materials, would like to unhide only a few other things. Maybe I hid some outer components to be able to edit the internal ones, etc. Rather than going through the scene tree and hovering over each hidden part to find the ones I want to unhide (if they are unique at all), I have to show all the parts and then rehide the ones I don't want.

Anyway, I appreciate the workarounds people have mentioned but so far none really solve the workflow hiccup when an invert visibility toggle would really help out. Thanks!

INNEO_MWo

Did you ever worked with the search bar at the top of the scene tree? Just change the filter (box left of the bar) to parts and then you have full text search access to part names and materials.

mattjgerard

Quote from: MWo on December 05, 2017, 08:23:37 AM
Did you ever worked with the search bar at the top of the scene tree? Just change the filter (box left of the bar) to parts and then you have full text search access to part names and materials.

My issue is that the search doesn't return groups, only individual parts. I have put in a request for this, hopefully it gets implemented soon, as that would solve a huge problem with using layers and groups.