7.2 timeline

Started by DMerz III, December 12, 2017, 12:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMerz III

:) It has been a few months since NR has reverted back to v6 in the 7.1.51 update. While I understand the need for the rollback, I know 7.2 is slated to preserve some of the features we admired in v7.

My team is in the middle of constructing a workflow for a particular client for a long-term project, and we're writing our standard procedure about network rendering, for now, we're going to write it for the v6 capabilities (7.1.51), but I'm wondering how in-depth to make it considering we could have a revamped network rendering workflow soon.

Are we a matter of weeks away from 7.2 rollout, or is it more like months away?

Any insights would be lovely, thank you in advance!

-David

Rex

Hey David,

I can provide some insight. A very conservative estimation of the release of 7.2 is by the end of January.

I think the most significant change that may affect your client workflow construction is the simultaneous processing of render jobs. Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

DMerz III

:) Thanks for the response, Rex!

DriesV

Also, it will be possible to re-prioritize jobs, even when rendering on other jobs has already begun.
You can move a job to the top of the list and it will be rendered with highest priority, as soon as slaves become available (finished their assigned regions on other jobs).

Dries

DMerz III

Quote from: DriesV on December 15, 2017, 02:14:27 AM
Also, it will be possible to re-prioritize jobs, even when rendering on other jobs has already begun.
You can move a job to the top of the list and it will be rendered with highest priority, as soon as slaves become available (finished their assigned regions on other jobs).

Dries

Glad to hear it, Dries. Thanks for the insight, those two features are very helpful for us.

KeyShot

Hopefully, you have it all installed by now. You should be seeing a significant improvement in performance (in particular with animations).

DMerz III

:) Yes, just got into it yesterday after the holiday break, so far so good. Have not tried any animations yet, just a bunch of stills, and we're pleased with the performance. Ultimately still hoping some of the big ideas from the original 7.0 make it back into future builds once stability and scale issues are resolved, particularly the priority settings, or the ability to move items in the queue more than 1 position at a time.

But for now, this is great to have the processing begin on the next job once machines free up from previous job!

Thanks!

KeyShot

Great. Thank you for the feedback. We are planning on adding the more advanced features. Our first priority was to ensure great performance on both small and large clusters. I think you will find that this version performs much faster than the initial 7.0 network rendering due to a lighter communication overhead.