Main Menu

Computer Mouse

Started by wddr, June 12, 2011, 01:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wddr

Modelled mainly in Solidworks, a couple of surfaces in Rhino. No Photoshop.

feher

Just a wonderful set of images ! They have a nice feel to them. You can really get a sense of how the material will look and feel.
NICE work. Thanks for sharing.
Tim

Speedster

I ditto Tim's comment!  Really nice modeling, which, as a SolidWorker, I fully appreciate.  This is the first time I've seen a well modeled and rendered PCB with all the goodies.  I've got to look into Rhino more!
Bill G

wddr

Thanks for the appreciative words. I'm in the process of rebuilding my website, so going through a few old projects and making new renderings. I'll add some more as they get made

Bill - don't focus too much on the Rhino comment... Five years ago I used Rhino a lot, but Solidworks' surfacing tools have improved a lot, so I rarely find the need nowadays. It's only when I can't get the right transition between surfaces in Solidworks that I go into Rhino to patch the surface in. But as I say, the times when I need to that are far fewer than they used to be.

Matt

quigley

I recognise that mouse....is this Matt from "We Don't Do Retro"?

wddr

repman

I have one question, how/where did you apply those textures to the PCB and other components.
I also work with Solidworks, but I didn't find a way to apply a material/texture to only one part of a surface unless I use an assembly, then I can apply materials/textures to objects within assembly in KeyShot.
Did you model each component independently and put them in an assembly before running KeyShot?

Speedster

Hi repman;
This may or may not apply to the beautiful mouse (never thought I'd say that about a mouse!) but here's a great, and little known, SW trick I often use.  Use the "split line" command in SW to create the exact surface you want to map. Just throw a sketch on a plane or surface, then use the command and select the surface you want it on.   It can be anything- I often use it for lettering, for example, that I want as part of the geometry, not as a decal.
Bill G

repman

Quote from: Speedster on June 24, 2011, 03:48:27 PM
Hi repman;
This may or may not apply to the beautiful mouse (never thought I'd say that about a mouse!) but here's a great, and little known, SW trick I often use.  Use the "split line" command in SW to create the exact surface you want to map. Just throw a sketch on a plane or surface, then use the command and select the surface you want it on.   It can be anything- I often use it for lettering, for example, that I want as part of the geometry, not as a decal.
Bill G

Thank you for your reply, I'm not exactly sure if I understand this command (I did go through SW Help file and had a look at the command), do I have to make another sketch just to split another object/part?
I made a simple object just to describe a bit what I want:

Let's say I wanted to assign the top surface (the selected one) as steel in keyshot and everything else as aluminium.
Right now I can't do that since if I import the part into keyshot it sees it as 1 body (can't apply materials to only one surface).

Is there any way to assign those surfaces as bodies or something so that I can apply different materials/textures in Solidworks.

P.S: sorry for hijacking the thread a bit

Speedster

You need to "color map" the surface in any given color, to tell KS this is "different".  Here's a sequence set of screenshots as an example.  Let us know how it works out for you!
Bill G
www.GouldStudios.com

repman

Got it working now, I really appreciate your help, thank you.

guest84672

@Speedster - thank you very much for helping the community.

Speedster

You're most welcome, Thomas! 

You know, we're all in this together, and each of us brings a unique skill set to the table.  This is an active forum on which we all share so we may all excel and succeed, and I for one have learned a lot here.  Most importantly, this is a productive and professional forum, with very few rants and personal attacks so common elsewhere.  Ours is a friendly, professional, community sharing a stong common interest and bonded by KeyShot.

Sorry for waxing philosophical here, but I've been in business for 38 years now, through many ups and downs.  I have been helped along the path by many, and I try to return that as well, to honor our past as well as our help others along their path.

Bill G

trice1

I fully agree with you Speedster, wax on any time!

wddr

Apologies for not replying earlier, I've been on holiday and trying my hardest to avoid any kind of internet connection. But Speedster has explained things at least as well as I could, and basically I follow exactly the process he's described. I almost always 'model' graphics, logos etc in Solidworks (using the 'split surface' command) after bringing in artwork from Illustrator. This is a bit of a hangover from Hypershot when decals weren't very reliable, but actually I don't think it takes that much longer, and it gives a lot more control.

And in the spirit of sharing tips... here's a great resource if you don't know it: http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/. Almost every logo you could possibly imagine, for free as a downloadable .eps