Animated ocean help

Started by cullumbespoke, December 21, 2017, 12:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cullumbespoke

Hi - this is a request for help!

I'm a complete newbie to animation - I'm trying to do some close up shorts of a 10 metre (37 ft) boat in water - with the water moving to make it look realistic.

I wouldn't know where to start with modelling the surface of the sea so tried looking for tips on this forum - nothing recent that I found. I also tried downloading a couple of free samples from Turbosquid - all I get is a short pink cylinder and a black plane on import. I must be doing something wrong!

Can anyone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

Pete

ieatfish

Depending on how realistic you want it to look, rather than model the water in a CAD program you could apply a video as a bump map to the water surface to give the illusion of waves. It won't look the like the water is moving up and down on the side of the boat (because it isn't changing the actual geometry) but it will give the water ripples in the animation.

I attached a real quick test with a random video I found online to test it out. It's less that a second long and has only a single part that moves but you can see how a more accurate wave video (maybe one like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZLxNxL69Yo) could give a nice result.

I hope that makes sense.

ieatfish

Here is the material graph for the water. It's really simple.

cullumbespoke

Thanks for that
What would be really handy is to be able to use that clip as a displacement map...

Ideally I need the water surface to interact with the hull so think I need to figure out how to import animated geometry from other programs first. I'll look for a tutorial.

Merry Christmas!

cullumbespoke

I have recently discovered Blender 3D - there is a very good ocean modifier which makes modelling / animating very realistic moving water surfaces a matter of changing settings. Now trying to work out what works out best to sit around my model of a boat - large file sizes - perhaps this may have been a mistake!

Will Gibbons

Blender simulations can eat up lots of HDD space. I recently did a smoke simulation that ran for 10 seconds. It had fairly high settings, but nothing too crazy. Just high enough to make it look realistic and it took 30 GB to simulate.

A realistic simulation of water with a boat in it is no simple task. I'd probably opt for just doing it in KeyShot as somebody pointed out earlier with a video map bump texture, as log as you can live with the fact that there's no interactions between the hull of the boat and liquid.